ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Choosing a CMS

<< < (16/18) > >>

mouser:
Many dc members who have pages on our dcmembers.com site are using Website Baker and seem happy with it.

Bamse:
Yes - or you could try one of the frameworks which should have better guarantee for ease of use and less risk of wasting time. If you take a look at this intro video http://www.elegantthemes.com/features/index.html you can see how they are. Simply more options, various type of presets, can include plugins as well. Not even sure this guy call his stuff for a framework but same thing. If you find an almost perfect theme on a framework site this is easiest way to get somewhere fast.

His stuff is so designer classy that messing about with them might be limited but then find another one. Woothemes are very popular http://www.woothemes.com/ and easy, click Theme Playground at bottom, sign up for a WP account and you get own site with all there themes, can test their framework. If this type of setting up a webstie is completely out of the question you don't have to look at other frameworks. I think most will either have even more options or invite to manual work - very useful for those who make a living by doing that.

These companies can also vanish but not likely, also not likely you need to worry about plugins, compatibility problems. They have support forums where you can find answers, tricks and hacks, avoid racing around testing more or less unknown plugins etc.

If interested in one of those Elegantthemes I can probably send you a trial or something. I have license to download page. Not even sure I like many of them, too much design but he is definitely good with Photoshop. Even his FAQ theme http://www.elegantthemes.com/preview/AskIt/ reeks of style.

mahesh2k:
Woothemes and Elegant themes are not based on any framework, all the themes inside their membership plans are standalone themes. Woothemes contain very heavy js and graphical stuff which in turn creates large theme size. Oh i own the developer license of both the clubs so that way i managed to know about them. Thematic(free) and Genesis(paid) are the only frameworks which i came across which are easy to use. Hybrid (free) and thesis(paid) are too complex to manage imo. Headway framework is also good but it has theme builder built in which takes care of basic users functionality so i don't prefer it for custom designs.

These companies can also vanish but not likely
--- End quote ---
You worry a lot about such stuff.  :D Those are professional full time designers and have lot of social media presence so don't worry these guys are not going anywhere.

Bamse:
Woothemes is based on WooFramework as per Woothemes. Is a matter of definition and who you are that decides what is called a framework. Their definition on front page is perfect since it clarifies difference to most normal themes. Purely technical but Elegantthemes with "best place for newbie" claim on frontpage is not identical to high priced stuff at Genesis site that is true. I knew you would say this but tried to avoid it by adding the group inviting to manual work :) Btw, I have seen quite a few who have been more than happy to dump every framework and instead use one of the better free themes. They can have more control panel options even. I think frameworks are a bit overrated unless you actually want to "build" for real. I also have doubts about that actually. Where are those sites? And as relevant how much did they cost? Why does Genesis have a big department of ready to go themes, sorry child themes? Don't you think they earn the most money from potential Elegantthemes buyers? They just prefer the business like Genesis smell and have more money to spend. Their stuff might be better for real developers or I would hope so. You don't really need a framework, just another and for some easier and safer environment. Easier when it fits that is. If it really does fit then site is practically done with build in modification tools - no custom design required. On my local wp forum the oldies warn against these solutions because they have seen so many run in to a brick wall and eventually figure out that the only way is the personal way! They do like Woothemes though. Last year they have improved is all I will say. Their point is tools are not super flexible even if that is how they are presented. I can agree but it also depends.

Take a look at the 900+ themes at Themeforest to see why I focus on support and who is behind. Or just wordpress.org. My favorite is a dude who will give updates to those who follow him on Twitter. I am skeptical, need to see some established something to be sure. I would not even say these 2 frameworks are established unless I check activity level. They are on a roll because many prefer ease of use :) In the case of elegantthemes also very low price for so many themes.

mahesh2k:
Woothemes is based on WooFramework as per Woothemes. Is a matter of definition and who you are that decides what is called a framework. Their definition on front page is perfect since it clarifies difference to most normal themes.
--- End quote ---

Not true. Frameworks allows extension and remain the same throughout the child themes. That is not the case of woothemes and elegant themes. They allow child stylesheet and not theme from the featured themes.
Btw, I have seen quite a few who have been more than happy to dump every framework and instead use one of the better free themes.
--- End quote ---
That is because they've limited needs. Take case of blog networks like b5media and some other where their blogs are in 50+ numbers each with professional design. Adding some free themes will only increase their task of updating code, maintenance, interlinking and other extension work. If you're into software development then you'll understand why people choose framework for repeatability task and code re-usability. If you're just going to blog only then you don't need framework and any theme will do. But then again 500+ themes on theme forest or clubs like woo/elegant then becomes useless once you start to automate things and want to spend less time on theme design. Think about it, do you go on cutting code and replacing it with your own for every free theme out there ? or just extend from framework for better design. It's hard for you to get this point of view if you've no understood the difference between band-air approach vs framework approach. Why re-invent wheel when you have skeleton to work with ? This is the reason we use CMS instead of using single shot solutions every time we do some things. Oh did i tell you how much extra code you get in footer with free themes and with automated theme builders ? ;)

y favorite is a dude who will give updates to those who follow him on Twitter.
--- End quote ---

Very poor selection of someone who develops themes. Any bot can follow him on twitter and is he going to allow support that way ?hmm. anyway. Frameworks like genesis is backed by copyblogger media which is corporate house since last year. Thematic is free and is now owned by wordpress team itself. Thesis and hybrid both are commercial with their support and very prompt. If you check their support sites then you'll observe dedicated staff and the tutorials. I like hybrid themes model, support costs 25$ each year and framework is free and unless support is given you hit a lot of undocumented walls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version