ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Choosing a CMS

<< < (11/18) > >>

Renegade:
Honestly this is now getting outside of the range of my own understanding of GPL and licensing law. It *is* complicated stuff, which is unfortunate because it needs to be understood by many "lay" people to really be properly respected. This is part of the problem with the way the GPL is constructed; it asks things of the developer and, in some cases, the user that are not necessarily intuitive. Software use and selection shouldn't be this complicated...

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (January 31, 2011, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Contemplating the GPL is a dizzying decent into madness. :D  :tellme:  :o  :huh:  :-[

mahesh2k:
Poor chris pearson- designer of thesis theme (wordpress) got screwed because of this GPL hoopla :P Seriously, if you want to make money from the software then never release it under GPL. If you want to be a hippie and 'love thy neighbor' type then go ahead GPL is for you. :D

By the way, i found a new CMS while registering to blogcritics.org. And unfortunately i lost the login details last month so i don't find any way to go inside and check the name of it. But it's very simple multi-author CMS for blog and magazine sites.

mahesh2k:
If I distribute GPL'd software for a fee, am I required to also make it available to the public without a charge?
No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public.
--- End quote ---

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

:D :D Tell me this is not in favor of piracy ?

Renegade:
If I distribute GPL'd software for a fee, am I required to also make it available to the public without a charge?
No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public.
--- End quote ---

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

:D :D Tell me this is not in favor of piracy ?
-mahesh2k (February 01, 2011, 01:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, that's kind of the point of the license -- to make it so that you can't pirate the software like that.

Though if you used GPL code in a proprietary program with a non-GPL license, that would be stealing, and I suppose a kind of piracy if piracy is just stealing.

But yeah -- I know what you mean.

40hz:
If you want to be a hippie and 'love thy neighbor' type then go ahead GPL is for you.
-mahesh2k (February 01, 2011, 01:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. Can't allow too much of that to be going on.

Look how much better the world got, now that everybody finally got their heads on straight and started focusing on the important stuff - like making a buck, watching out for number one, and national security...

Love thy neighbor? (Only if she's pretty and understands it's just for one night, right?)  :D

And hippies? (Whatta buncha losers! It's yuppies that made the world what it is today!)  8)

Yeah, good thing all that 60s and early-70s B.S. is over!  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version