topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Hosting in the UK  (Read 3651 times)

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hosting in the UK
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:59 AM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for a hosting solution in the UK? I run a website for a small group with the need for PHP and MySQL support. I'm not exactly unhappy with my current host, but they seem to have have become a bit "dormant" and it's making me more nervous as I renew each year.

I did find a few threads on the forum but they are from about 2 years ago so I am not sure if any reccomendations would still stand.

Thanks

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Hosting in the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:10 AM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for a hosting solution in the UK? I run a website for a small group with the need for PHP and MySQL support. I'm not exactly unhappy with my current host, but they seem to have have become a bit "dormant" and it's making me more nervous as I renew each year.

I did find a few threads on the forum but they are from about 2 years ago so I am not sure if any reccomendations would still stand.

Thanks

I use The Planet and Softlayer, and they've been very good. I believe that they have an IDC in the UK... You'd need to double check though.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:51 AM »
nativespace.co.uk works very well, has a good feature set and their support is excellent.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:46 PM »
The most important question is what level and type of hosting are you looking for, basic "shared" hosting, VPS, dedicated server (managed or unmanaged)?

- Oshyan

bscott

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 02:37 PM »
If you were able to relax your requirement for UK hosting then I can highly recommend Webfaction who are a UK company with servers located in US datacenters.

Their hosting is very flexible - you can build and install applications into your home directory if you want. It is the next best thing to a VPS.

Prior to being with Webfaction I was with United Hosting who are also very good and offer servers either in the US or the UK.

The only reason I moved was because I needed Latex which United Hosting were unable to provide but which Webfaction had installed. If they hadn't had it installed I could have installed my own copy - such is their flexibilty.

If you must have a UK server take a look at United Hosting otherwise look at Webfaction for the ultimate flexibility without going VPS. My experience is that both provide very reliable hosting with excellent support.

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 03:54 PM »
The most important question is what level and type of hosting are you looking for, basic "shared" hosting, VPS, dedicated server (managed or unmanaged)?

Just basic hosting with a control panel and ftp access is all that is needed.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far as well - gives me plenty to look at :)

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 09:43 AM »
I have decided to go with Webfaction - they are noticeably cheaper than the others and offer enormous flexibility.

I have keep the details of the others as well in case anything goes wrong :)

bscott

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 10:33 AM »
Wise choice!

You won't regret it.