topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: RIFT - MMORPG Beta Invite  (Read 17969 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
RIFT - MMORPG Beta Invite
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:47 AM »
RIFT is a new MMORPG that is coming out in March. I'd say it's a bit like World of Warcraft, but the main draw is that there are Rifts (aka portals) that can appear almost anywhere, out of which monsters will spew and you have to defeat all the monsters and shut the rift to restore sanity to an area. If you think that sounds similar to Oblivion, you're not alone. But it is a bit different (you don't ever enter the Rifts to close them, AFAIK).

Anyway I'm too lazy to write up a long description about the game, so check out the website for more info:

My purpose in writing this here is to say that I have received two VIP beta invite keys which can be used by up to 25 people (each), and will get you access to all the remaining beta events until the game's launch in March.

Key
6JTN-9PZT-72RK-JKW9-JWCF

To Apply the VIP Code:

Go to https://account.RIFTgame.com to login or create a new account.
Click "Apply Code" on the left-hand navigation bar and enter your VIP key.
You're done! You will automatically be invited into the remaining beta events.

I'll reserve one key for existing DC members so that we don't get an influx of people who just want the game invite. So if you're an existing DC member and want in but the above key doesn't work for you, send me a PM and I'll let you use my other key.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: RIFT - MMORPG Beta Invite
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 02:58 PM »
They're sending out a lot of these now... :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 03:04 PM »
They're sending out a lot of these now... :)

Yeah, you just had to be subscribed to the newsletter to get one of these VIP beta keys, so they're probably not that rare. But I never would have heard about this game (until after release, probably) if someone didn't mention it to me about a month ago.

Basically, if you've never heard about it or weren't subscribed to the newsletter and are interested in playing the beta, now's your chance. :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Sounds like they may end up with a trademark infringement case from Palladium. I thought the game was for their off-line game.

Had a quick look at the website... Why do all games need to have classes? The Hero system is nice because you don't have to be jammed into a "class". Ah well...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 08:12 PM »
Sounds like they may end up with a trademark infringement case from Palladium. I thought the game was for their off-line game.

Had a quick look at the website... Why do all games need to have classes? The Hero system is nice because you don't have to be jammed into a "class". Ah well...

They've already been through that rodeo.  Don't remember what the outcome was, but it's still here.  Kevin Siembieda is pretty rabid about protecting his IPs, so they wouldn't have gotten *this* far without hearing from him...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:34 PM »

One of the unique things about this game's system is that you choose a kind of generic class "Warrior, Priest, Mage, or Rogue" and then get more specific later by choosing "souls" that unlock certain skill trees.

So, for instance, I made a Mage, but the three souls I chose to use were Necromancy, Warlock, and Life/Nature (can't remember the name of it).

You can also have more than one soul-set. I haven't done it so I'm not sure what it's really called or exactly how it works, but I'm under the impression you can pretty much change your "subclass" on demand by changing your soul-set.

What is the Hero system you're talking about?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:40 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 11:00 PM »

If it's what I'm thinking about, it's the same system that's behind Champions.  Good for Superheroes... I don't like it for much else.  Also a bit heavy in the rules, IMO.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 01:43 AM »

If it's what I'm thinking about, it's the same system that's behind Champions.  Good for Superheroes... I don't like it for much else.  Also a bit heavy in the rules, IMO.

Yeop.

http://www.herogames.com/

It's a bit rules heavy, but if you know how to play, and can use the rules fast, it's far better than other systems. Especially for building characters.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 05:05 AM »
I tried the beta and absolutely hated it.  Repetitive and boring.  My 10 year old like it due to the ease of play, but there was no sense of accomplishment or challenge whatsoever, for me at least.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 06:57 AM »
Thanks Deozaan, might check it out. Maybe. I've been sucked into Eve again, though, so. . . :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 09:47 AM »
It's a bit rules heavy, but if you know how to play, and can use the rules fast, it's far better than other systems. Especially for building characters.

You *do* realize that this is a debate even worse than the OSX vs Windows vs Linux debates, don't you?  So don't get me started... this is one that I can *really* get into.  It even involves prob and stats!  ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 09:50 AM »

You *do* realize that this is a debate even worse than the OSX vs Windows vs Linux debates, don't you?  So don't get me started... this is one that I can *really* get into.  It even involves prob and stats!  ;D

Ok ok ok...

For speed of play, Palladium rocks. :P

Muahahahaha~!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Ok ok ok...

Muahahahaha~!

Must.not.reply.  Must.not.reply!  ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 07:08 AM »
Ok ok ok...

Muahahahaha~!

Must.not.reply.  Must.not.reply!  ;D

Hahahaha~! :D

Do we have a d20 die hard?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Okay, here's the second Key--available for anyone--since there hasn't really been a demand for it:

Key
NM3X-LWJQ-N3YN-EYLH-MHPZ

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 01:17 AM »
Ok ok ok...

Muahahahaha~!

Must.not.reply.  Must.not.reply!  ;D

Hahahaha~! :D

Do we have a d20 die hard?

Nope... I've played everything under the sun pretty much.  I'm running a 4e game right now, but that was just the choice of the people I'm playing with.  My favorites have been Amber, the FATE system, the One-Roll Engine, and RoleMaster.  I just don't really like palladium (too dry) or hero (too many rules for no reason)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 06:05 AM »
Nope... I've played everything under the sun pretty much.  I'm running a 4e game right now, but that was just the choice of the people I'm playing with.  My favorites have been Amber, the FATE system, the One-Roll Engine, and RoleMaster.  I just don't really like palladium (too dry) or hero (too many rules for no reason)

2 of the BEST systems I've ever seen are without doubt:

Paranoia (The computer is your friend~!)

kill puppies for satan

Here's a quote from the game:

The game is about killing puppies for satan, you didn't think it would not be NSFW, did you? :)
kill puppies for satan
yes every puppy you kill its innocent little soul goes straight to doggy heaven with all the pretty doggy angels. fortunately satan doesn’t give a fuck.
character creation
take a piece of paper and write in big letters across the top: i kill puppies for satan. that’s your character sheet. next write: my name is and put your character’s name. you get four stats, so write them next in a little column: cold, fucked up, mean, and relentless. the scale is 1 to 5, with 1 being normal and 5 being diabolical. leave a little space and then write: evil. killing puppies (and other animals) gives you evil, which you then get to spend on doing supernatural evil things. now leave a big space and write: this many people hate me. this is where you keep track of how many people hate you.
so there’s your character sheet. you get 11 points to spend on your four stats. yes, 11. just give each one a number from 1 to 5 and make sure they add up to 11. remember that satan likes cheaters but the gm doesn’t.
here’s what’s up with the stats.
cold – this is how heartless and calculating a motherfucker you are. make cold rolls whenever you do something that requires exactness, patience, knowledge, or great care, like disarming a security system or reading a book. cold corresponds to intelligence in a normal game. a regular person has a cold of 1, and hannibal lecter has a cold of 5.
fucked up – this is how devious, deviant and weird a motherfucker you are. make fucked up rolls whenever you do something that requires paranoia, edginess, quick wits, or sneakiness, like hiding under a bridge or noticing that somebody’s disturbed your freezer unit. fucked up corresponds to perception and stealth in a normal game. a regular person has a fucked up of 1, and that guy from se7en has a fucked up of 5.
mean – this is how violent and ruthless a motherfucker you are. make mean rolls whenever you do something that requires strength, viciousness, rage, or brutality, like pulling a trigger or snapping handcuffs. mean corresponds to strength and skill in a normal game. a regular person has a mean of 1, and mickey and mallory from natural born killers have a mean of 5.
and finally relentless – this is how gutsy and powerful a motherfucker you are. make relentless rolls whenever you do something that requires endurance, discipline, tenacity, or the will to carry on, like swimming underwater or chewing through leather straps. relentless corresponds to stamina in a normal game. a regular person has a relentless of 1, and jason has a relentless of 5.
now if you absolutely must cheat, fine, take the points, satan’s proud of you. but the gm’s gonna fuckin’ make you pay.

Lots of hatemail for kpfs. Here's one:

Oh so very very NSFW
hate "kill puppies": 10 // hate "for satan": 6 // undeclared: 4 // are fixated on my anus: 1

Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:59:28 EST
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: HI
    You are a fucking idiot for making a game like this. I myself am an animal lover & it's people like you that make it impossible for animals to live happily without some asshole coming along & feeding a dog anti-freeze to kill it. You disgust me & b/c of you & your game people everywhere are killing innocent dogs b/c they think it's "cool". I have an idea for a game!
    How about "BLOW JONATHAN TWEET'S HEAD OFF FOR PUPPIES!" Fuck you you fucking dickwad!!!!!!!!!!!!

in your honor i create:

fuckwit the roleplaying game

in fuckwit you have only one stat, fuckwitude. it represents how fuckwitted you are. you roll on it whenever you try to do something.

character creation: roll a d10. add 90. that's your fuckwitude.

resolution: when you try to do something, roll percentile dice (d%). if the dice come up equal to or greater than your fuckwitude, fine. carry on. if they come up less than your fuckwitude, stop! you do something fuckwitted instead. roll d% on the fuckwitted action table:
    d%   fuckwitted action
    1-45   you send me the "how could you hurt a sweet little animal!" hatemail.
    46-75   you send me the "won't you accept christ's good lovin' if you don't it's the anal rape pits for you!" hatemail.
    76-95   you send me the "fuck you you're teaching all the children everywhere that it's cool to kill puppies!" hatemail.
    96-100   roll twice.

you get xp's x 1.5 if you put "cool" in quotes.

fuckwit.

But I've not really played much of anything in years.

For kpfs, even if you never play it, it is very very worth the $10 or so just to read. FAIR WARNING: You may very well piss yourself laughing. Stay close to the WC. :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 09:27 PM »
There's another beta event happening this weekend:

The RIFT beta continues this weekend with the next beta event, Planar War, which is set to begin Friday, Feb. 4, 2011 at 10:00 AM PST (18:00 GMT), and run through 10:00 AM (18:00 GMT) on Monday, Feb. 7, 2011.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 09:44 PM »
There's another beta event happening this weekend:

The RIFT beta continues this weekend with the next beta event, Planar War, which is set to begin Friday, Feb. 4, 2011 at 10:00 AM PST (18:00 GMT), and run through 10:00 AM (18:00 GMT) on Monday, Feb. 7, 2011.

thanks for the heads-up! will check my email. :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pre-order Rift and get special items in Team Fortress 2
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 11:39 PM »
The devs of Rift have made a special tie-in with Valve's online shooter Team Fortress 2, which offers some bonus items in both games. these tie-ins are becoming the norm for Valve to capitalize on the hat-loving crowd, showing how much virtual items are held in high regards by their fans.

rift_tf2_tie-in.jpg
Steam customers who pre-order Rift by March 1st will get two exclusive melee weapons in Team Fortress 2, the Sharpened Volcano Fragment and the Sun-on-a-Stick (see pic). Additionally, players who complete the new Riftwalker achievement will receive a redeemable code for an equally exclusive (and terrifying) headpiece in Rift, the Well Spun Hat.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 04:44 PM »
FYI this weekend only you can buy RIFT for $10 or the Collector's Edition for $17 but here's the catch:

It doesn't include ANY gameplay time.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 10:30 AM »
Now it's $5 or $10 for the Collector's edition:

https://www.riftgame...ts/trial-upgrade.php

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 11:57 AM »

Or, if you live in Europe, it's on sale for €12 and €17 respectively, which is ~2.5x the US price >:(.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 07:49 PM »

Or, if you live in Europe, it's on sale for €12 and €17 respectively, which is ~2.5x the US price >:(.

get someone in the US to buy and gift to you then?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 10:48 AM »
Play RIFT for free starting today until the end of the month in celebration of RIFT's half-birthday:

https://www.riftgame...ducts/half-birthday/