Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 21, 2014, 12:45:53 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: RIFT - MMORPG Beta Invite  (Read 6612 times)
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:47:13 AM »

RIFT is a new MMORPG that is coming out in March. I'd say it's a bit like World of Warcraft, but the main draw is that there are Rifts (aka portals) that can appear almost anywhere, out of which monsters will spew and you have to defeat all the monsters and shut the rift to restore sanity to an area. If you think that sounds similar to Oblivion, you're not alone. But it is a bit different (you don't ever enter the Rifts to close them, AFAIK).

Anyway I'm too lazy to write up a long description about the game, so check out the website for more info:

My purpose in writing this here is to say that I have received two VIP beta invite keys which can be used by up to 25 people (each), and will get you access to all the remaining beta events until the game's launch in March.

I'll reserve one key for existing DC members so that we don't get an influx of people who just want the game invite. So if you're an existing DC member and want in but the above key doesn't work for you, send me a PM and I'll let you use my other key.

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 02:58:51 PM »

They're sending out a lot of these now... smiley

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 03:04:02 PM »

They're sending out a lot of these now... smiley

Yeah, you just had to be subscribed to the newsletter to get one of these VIP beta keys, so they're probably not that rare. But I never would have heard about this game (until after release, probably) if someone didn't mention it to me about a month ago.

Basically, if you've never heard about it or weren't subscribed to the newsletter and are interested in playing the beta, now's your chance. smiley

Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 06:38:55 PM »

Sounds like they may end up with a trademark infringement case from Palladium. I thought the game was for their off-line game.

Had a quick look at the website... Why do all games need to have classes? The Hero system is nice because you don't have to be jammed into a "class". Ah well...

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »

Sounds like they may end up with a trademark infringement case from Palladium. I thought the game was for their off-line game.

Had a quick look at the website... Why do all games need to have classes? The Hero system is nice because you don't have to be jammed into a "class". Ah well...

They've already been through that rodeo.  Don't remember what the outcome was, but it's still here.  Kevin Siembieda is pretty rabid about protecting his IPs, so they wouldn't have gotten *this* far without hearing from him...

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:34:32 PM »

One of the unique things about this game's system is that you choose a kind of generic class "Warrior, Priest, Mage, or Rogue" and then get more specific later by choosing "souls" that unlock certain skill trees.

So, for instance, I made a Mage, but the three souls I chose to use were Necromancy, Warlock, and Life/Nature (can't remember the name of it).

You can also have more than one soul-set. I haven't done it so I'm not sure what it's really called or exactly how it works, but I'm under the impression you can pretty much change your "subclass" on demand by changing your soul-set.

What is the Hero system you're talking about?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:40:23 PM by Deozaan » Logged

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 11:00:35 PM »

If it's what I'm thinking about, it's the same system that's behind Champions.  Good for Superheroes... I don't like it for much else.  Also a bit heavy in the rules, IMO.

Renegade
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 01:43:29 AM »

If it's what I'm thinking about, it's the same system that's behind Champions.  Good for Superheroes... I don't like it for much else.  Also a bit heavy in the rules, IMO.

Yeop.

http://www.herogames.com/

It's a bit rules heavy, but if you know how to play, and can use the rules fast, it's far better than other systems. Especially for building characters.

y0himba
Charter Member

Yar.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 05:05:35 AM »

I tried the beta and absolutely hated it.  Repetitive and boring.  My 10 year old like it due to the ease of play, but there was no sense of accomplishment or challenge whatsoever, for me at least.

My Web Site:  http://www.y0himba.net
allen
Charter Member

Powered by Beard

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 06:57:12 AM »

Thanks Deozaan, might check it out. Maybe. I've been sucked into Eve again, though, so. . . smiley
wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 09:47:12 AM »

It's a bit rules heavy, but if you know how to play, and can use the rules fast, it's far better than other systems. Especially for building characters.

You *do* realize that this is a debate even worse than the OSX vs Windows vs Linux debates, don't you?  So don't get me started... this is one that I can *really* get into.  It even involves prob and stats!  Grin

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 09:50:54 AM »

You *do* realize that this is a debate even worse than the OSX vs Windows vs Linux debates, don't you?  So don't get me started... this is one that I can *really* get into.  It even involves prob and stats!  Grin

Ok ok ok...

For speed of play, Palladium rocks. tongue

Muahahahaha~!

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 10:10:53 AM »

Ok ok ok...

Muahahahaha~!

Must.not.reply.  Must.not.reply!  Grin

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »

Ok ok ok...

Muahahahaha~!

Must.not.reply.  Must.not.reply!  Grin

Hahahaha~! cheesy

Do we have a d20 die hard?

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »

Okay, here's the second Key--available for anyone--since there hasn't really been a demand for it:

wraith808
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 01:17:42 AM »

Ok ok ok...

Muahahahaha~!

Must.not.reply.  Must.not.reply!  Grin

Hahahaha~! cheesy

Do we have a d20 die hard?

Nope... I've played everything under the sun pretty much.  I'm running a 4e game right now, but that was just the choice of the people I'm playing with.  My favorites have been Amber, the FATE system, the One-Roll Engine, and RoleMaster.  I just don't really like palladium (too dry) or hero (too many rules for no reason)

Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 06:05:48 AM »

Nope... I've played everything under the sun pretty much.  I'm running a 4e game right now, but that was just the choice of the people I'm playing with.  My favorites have been Amber, the FATE system, the One-Roll Engine, and RoleMaster.  I just don't really like palladium (too dry) or hero (too many rules for no reason)

2 of the BEST systems I've ever seen are without doubt:

Paranoia (The computer is your friend~!)

kill puppies for satan

Here's a quote from the game:

Lots of hatemail for kpfs. Here's one:

But I've not really played much of anything in years.

For kpfs, even if you never play it, it is very very worth the $10 or so just to read. FAIR WARNING: You may very well piss yourself laughing. Stay close to the WC. smiley

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 09:27:02 PM »

There's another beta event happening this weekend:

The RIFT beta continues this weekend with the next beta event, Planar War, which is set to begin Friday, Feb. 4, 2011 at 10:00 AM PST (18:00 GMT), and run through 10:00 AM (18:00 GMT) on Monday, Feb. 7, 2011.

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 09:44:39 PM »

There's another beta event happening this weekend:

The RIFT beta continues this weekend with the next beta event, Planar War, which is set to begin Friday, Feb. 4, 2011 at 10:00 AM PST (18:00 GMT), and run through 10:00 AM (18:00 GMT) on Monday, Feb. 7, 2011.

thanks for the heads-up! will check my email. smiley

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 11:39:15 PM »

The devs of Rift have made a special tie-in with Valve's online shooter Team Fortress 2, which offers some bonus items in both games. these tie-ins are becoming the norm for Valve to capitalize on the hat-loving crowd, showing how much virtual items are held in high regards by their fans.

Steam customers who pre-order Rift by March 1st will get two exclusive melee weapons in Team Fortress 2, the Sharpened Volcano Fragment and the Sun-on-a-Stick (see pic). Additionally, players who complete the new Riftwalker achievement will receive a redeemable code for an equally exclusive (and terrifying) headpiece in Rift, the Well Spun Hat.

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 04:44:31 PM »

FYI this weekend only you can buy RIFT for $10 or the Collector's Edition for $17 but here's the catch:

It doesn't include ANY gameplay time.

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 10:30:16 AM »

Now it's $5 or $10 for the Collector's edition:

https://www.riftgame.com/...roducts/trial-upgrade.php

Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »

Or, if you live in Europe, it's on sale for €12 and €17 respectively, which is ~2.5x the US price Angry.

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 07:49:23 PM »

Or, if you live in Europe, it's on sale for €12 and €17 respectively, which is ~2.5x the US price Angry.

get someone in the US to buy and gift to you then?

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 10:48:02 AM »

Play RIFT for free starting today until the end of the month in celebration of RIFT's half-birthday:

https://www.riftgame.com/...n/products/half-birthday/

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.06s | Server load: 0.31 ]