topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DONE: Move installed programs from one drive to another.  (Read 31470 times)

KaysLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DONE: Move installed programs from one drive to another.
« on: February 23, 2006, 08:40 AM »
I have many programs installed on my C drive, which unfortunately is getting rather full.

I have a secondary hard drive that is quite large, and I was considering moving programs from C to F.

However, the problem I am faced with is two folds: -

Firstly, I have misplaced the serial number for a lot of the S/W and therefore uninstalling and re-installing to the new drive is not an option;

Secondly, my moving programs from C to F will cause all the Registry and Desktop icons to fail as the programs have been physically moved.

Is there a program which will physical move programs from one drive to another, update the registry and lastly change the shortcut/desktop shortcuts to point to the new place on the new drive?

Your assistance would be most welcome.

:) :)
Regards

KaysLover
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 01:27 AM by brotherS »

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Move Installed programs from one drive to another.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 08:45 AM »
This is a perfect use for SHJunction (coming soon). Using it, you can 'link' folders so that they actually reside on a different drive. This way, you don't even have to change the paths. I'll let more coherent people describe what I'm talking about. When SHJunction is released a notice will be posted in this forum.

KaysLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 08:56 AM »
db90h

Look forward to it.

Thinking out aloud, I am assuming that the linking will not cause any performance issue?
Regards

KaysLover

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 09:32 AM »
That would be like the best program ever.. ;)

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 11:31 AM »
 :) This could easily be done using SUBST, _before_ you install any programs.

Just open a command prompt, write SUBST V: C:\Movable_Files  and you've got a virtual drive V: pointing to C:\Movable_Files. Now install your programs to V:\Program Files or something.

Also make a STARTUP.CMD-file with this command and put it in your startup folder.

Later you can move the folder Movable_Files to D:\ or wherever and have everything working as always by updating the SUBST command: Write SUBST V: /D to delete the existing mapping, and SUBST V: D:\Movable_Files to map V: to the new location.

Skrommel

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 11:43 AM »
there are programs designed specifically for moving installed software from one place to another.. can't remember names off hand but they do exist.  maybe someone else can think of some, otherwise i will try to remember.

having said that, it's always somewhat of a crapshoot, and you should give strong consideration to uninstall then reinstall in desired location.

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 12:12 PM »
Excuse my ignorence but won't ghost 9/10 do this? I.ve copied my entire hard drive onto another and it works...
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester

Black Mamba

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 02:18 PM »
there are programs designed specifically for moving installed software from one place to another.. can't remember names off hand but they do exist.  maybe someone else can think of some, otherwise i will try to remember.
Acronis Migrate Easy. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 02:27 PM »
another:
http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm

i know there is at least one more big app that does this, can't remember it though.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 05:23 PM »
just to clarify, i think KaysLover is not wanting to migrate to a larger hard drive so things like 'acronis migrate easy' are not the right tool, but 'application mover' that mouser has pointed out are correct, i.e. they will 'move' the installed program to another path (it wouldn't even have to be a different drive).

i remember norton (might have been symantec - poor memory) having some kind of tool that did this a long time ago. i guess they would still do it now, maybe with a different name?????

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 07:56 PM »
hi there KaysLover,

personally i use this program, Change Your Address aka COA2 by pcmag.com. you might wanna give it a try...

best regards,
lanux

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 08:00 PM »
No performance issues at all... none.

It uses the same mechanism as subst does, but is more capable since it can handle folders as well as volumes.

I've published an alpha version for those who want to test and give feedback. It seems to work quite fine as-is, but be warned it is not final.

www.bitsum.com/shjunc.asp

KaysLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 03:51 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I think I have stirred quite a bit of interest.  :up:  :up:

:Thmbsup: Firstly, thanks to all for their constructive comments.  :Thmbsup:

Secondly, I will address the comments individually: -

Skrommel – I understand your concept, however I would prefer to have a program that allows drag and drop that does all the background work.

Baseman, Black Mamba, I am aware that Ghost and Acronis Migrate Easy would allow copying to another drive once an image has been taken. However, the comments Nudone are spot one. I am not just after migrating to a new disk (I probably will do that), but ultimately I want to be able to move a program from one drive to another.

Nudone, your observation of what I am asking for 100% correct.

Mouser, I will have a look at the program you have recommended. From reading the documentation and looking at the screen shots it seems to be just what I want, I note that there is a charge of $15 for a single user. I will see if they have an evaluation copy that I can try out and If available will try it out over the next few days and advise. (Does this forum get a discount?  ;)  ;))

Lanun128, Thanks for pointing me to COA2, for me to try it out I have to subscribe to a one-off fee of $5. I am not willing to do this, as I would prefer to try out an evaluation copy to ensure it is what I want.    :(  :(

Db90h, thanks for assuring me that there will be not performance issues. I note that you say that not only will it do folders but also volumes. I think the volume aspect is an excellent idea, as it will allow people to move their operating system to another drive and avoid the re-activation process. I will try out your alpha version and send you a PM with any comment that I may have (hope you are OK with this).
Regards

KaysLover

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 04:10 AM »
No performance issues at all... none.

Well, things will be a few nano/microseconds slower because a reparse point is used - but in practice, you're right :P

Actually moving apps to another path is a major chore. Automated tools might work (if their app database is large enough...), but fixing all the right references can be a major pain for some apps.

Gogo, db90h's wonderful tool :P
- carpe noctem

TWmailrec

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 11:02 AM »
Hi Kayslover,
The program you are looking for is HyperOs. I have used it for years.
As previous replies indicate, under WIN98 the program automatically performs DOS drive 'Subst' in Autoexec allowing every windows partition to run as Drive D:
Under XP, HyperOs adjusts REGISTRY entries to point to new drive
(Command: WINMOVE), and adjusts links & .ini files as well
All XP systems I find work perfectly in any parition (except that individual program cannot be uninstalled from a copied partition)
Problems:
I am still using HyperOs 2003 although I did purchase later versions there was no need to try them (I have amended the Batch files for my own progs)
I have been unable more recently to contact Gordon Ritchie at HyperOs Systems. - his old address and email are no longer valid!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: Move installed programs from one drive to another.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 09:18 PM »
Lanun128, Thanks for pointing me to COA2, for me to try it out I have to subscribe to a one-off fee of $5. I am not willing to do this, as I would prefer to try out an evaluation copy to ensure it is what I want.

maybe dc can do a write-up/review on this since most of us attached to our PCs... what about it, mouser? i'm sure that if dc approaches the authors for a review copy, they'll be happy to oblige...

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 06:37 AM »
@KaysLover:

whatever you tried to with your last post, it had gone horribly wrong. It's in the trash now, please try again.

And use the Preview button :)

KaysLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 02:51 AM »
Twmailrec

Thanks for your prompt.

I have had a look at the Site for the product you mention and notice that it is quite expensive. :down:

I also notice that the product does not offer a trial version. I don’t really want to pay for something and then find that it does not met my expectations.  :'(

Thank you for taking the time in pointing to the S/W.  :D

Regards

Kayslover
Regards

KaysLover

ace_ventura2

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 05:25 AM »
I think all of you guys are the best.... thanks for being so helpful
God bless you all and god bless this forum

Cheers