ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Move installed programs from one drive to another.

(1/4) > >>

KaysLover:
I have many programs installed on my C drive, which unfortunately is getting rather full.

I have a secondary hard drive that is quite large, and I was considering moving programs from C to F.

However, the problem I am faced with is two folds: -

Firstly, I have misplaced the serial number for a lot of the S/W and therefore uninstalling and re-installing to the new drive is not an option;

Secondly, my moving programs from C to F will cause all the Registry and Desktop icons to fail as the programs have been physically moved.

Is there a program which will physical move programs from one drive to another, update the registry and lastly change the shortcut/desktop shortcuts to point to the new place on the new drive?

Your assistance would be most welcome.

:) :)

db90h:
This is a perfect use for SHJunction (coming soon). Using it, you can 'link' folders so that they actually reside on a different drive. This way, you don't even have to change the paths. I'll let more coherent people describe what I'm talking about. When SHJunction is released a notice will be posted in this forum.

KaysLover:
db90h

Look forward to it.

Thinking out aloud, I am assuming that the linking will not cause any performance issue?

jgpaiva:
That would be like the best program ever.. ;)

skrommel:
 :) This could easily be done using SUBST, _before_ you install any programs.

Just open a command prompt, write SUBST V: C:\Movable_Files  and you've got a virtual drive V: pointing to C:\Movable_Files. Now install your programs to V:\Program Files or something.

Also make a STARTUP.CMD-file with this command and put it in your startup folder.

Later you can move the folder Movable_Files to D:\ or wherever and have everything working as always by updating the SUBST command: Write SUBST V: /D to delete the existing mapping, and SUBST V: D:\Movable_Files to map V: to the new location.

Skrommel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version