ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do universities have a claim on students' IP?

<< < (3/6) > >>

justice:
I had to sign a contract with my uni that all the work i produced as part of the course exclusively belonged to the uni (or to that effect) for the duration of my course + a certain period thereafter, after which the ownership transferred back. Something like that anyway (so it can be shown at exhibitions etc) . I'm suprised it's not similar everywhere.

Eóin:
Well in some ways only.

Take the example of a gym, you pay membership so get access to the facilities/machines. But the staff there don't become your employees, nor are they obliged to ensure you get fit. As part of the conditions of their employment, they may be required to assist the customers or give advice, but whether they meet those requirements is ultimately a matter between them and the management.

Renegade:
Well in some ways only.

Take the example of a gym, you pay membership so get access to the facilities/machines. But the staff there don't become your employees, nor are they obliged to ensure you get fit. As part of the conditions of their employment, they may be required to assist the customers or give advice, but whether they meet those requirements is ultimately a matter between them and the management.
-Eóin (January 24, 2011, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

But if you go on to win $100,000 in a competition, does that entitle the gym to a share in the prize money and glory?

Receiving a grant is another matter... But for the simple case, I think this is clear cut. You're paying for services. Period. Your work is your work and you own it.

Eóin:
If not, and the professor had no obligation to the student other than to present the coursework in the best manner that he thought, then there would be no student evaluations at the end of the semester/quarter, etc., and that evaluation would have no effect on professors (well, non-tenured, anyway).  And if so, then those opinions would have more weight than they do... even with tenured professors.
-wraith808 (January 24, 2011, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well carrying out an evaluation would probably be considered part of the courses content. And of course the final exam to obtain the qualification is a matter between the student and the university, though the professor would likely be obligated to provide the exam, and correct them.

But should a professor be fired if all his class fail? Not at all. The college should probably investigate to ensure the professor did indeed teach the material, But if the students didn't learn it then tough on them.

Eóin:
But if you go on to win $100,000 in a competition, does that entitle the gym to a share in the prize money and glory?

Receiving a grant is another matter... But for the simple case, I think this is clear cut. You're paying for services. Period. Your work is your work and you own it.
-Renegade (January 24, 2011, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm inclined to agree, but the specifics could be blurrier. We are told just that the student came up with the idea in class. But how much of this idea was seeded by the professor? If the idea were solely the work of the students, how did the university ever discover it?

I see now looking at the article that the application was developed as part of a contest. Contests like this are highly dangerous, usually the fine print has you give up all rights to your entry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version