ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Binary Registry Keys.... Editable? Readable? How?

(1/3) > >>

J-Mac:
Title says it all, if you are presently frothing at the mouth, staring at RegEdit!

I have a little problem with the latest Pre-Release version of Evernote: After it installed over the previous pre-release the Evernote main window opens off-screen. Right after I updated Evernote it opened and I could not find the doggone thing! Taskbar button was there but it didn't bring anything up when clicked. Plus the thumbnail image that Win 7 shows when hovering your mouse over a taskbar button only showed about a 50 px x 200 px section of the Evernote main toolbar instead of the main window itself. I could right-click the taskbar button and then click "Maximize" and the maximized window would appear but there was no way to restore the "normal" window; instead it would just jump back off-screen again. Frustrating, to say the least.

So every time Evernote starts up I have been pressing Alt+Space+M to get into the Move function, and then I use the arrow keys to move this tiny Evernote onto the monitor. Of course I also have to resize the window. However there doesn’t seem to be anyway to make the window placement stick. Using File>Exit while the correct window is showing doesn’t stay that way; the next time Evernote starts it is back off-screen in a tiny window!!

Evernote Support said to uninstall/reinstall the app. (Have you ever heard that before?! Hate it?). Though actually it probably will fix the problem, as I am guessing that something went weird during the last update installation and hopefully reinstalling it fresh has a damn good chance of getting it right this time. Maybe. Fingers crossed. But I got a bug under my bonnet now. I want to know where the hell the Window Placement setting is stored for Evernote now. And no one will tell me. (Or can tell me...) No INI file, no DAT file, no config file. All that is left is the registry. So I looked and there it is: a whole key under HK Current User with a subkey named WindowPlacement! But... all the keys in it are Binary keys. I cannot read this key with anything. Hex Editor just shows me the Hex and makes it editable, but still doesn’t translate it into human-readable material.

Does anyone know how I can see what is listed there for WindowPlacement? I haven't reinstalled the update yet just because this is bugging me and I would like to understand where the setting is for Evernote and how to change it without uninstalling and reinstalling - because I still hate that damn answer!!

Thanks!

Jim

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

Current binary key value for Evernote MainFrameWindow Placement.

MilesAhead:
The binary stuff could be in any arbitrary order.  Like left corner, right corner x y combos or left top right bottom.. plus other attributes.  A lot of trial and error potential. :)

This may work and be generally useful:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/winsize2/

Once you have a window sized and positioned the way you want, hit the hotkey while it's active to store the info.  After that, the first time that window pops up it's set to that position/size.

I've been using it for a few weeks.  About the only side effect is now and then a dialog box or child window comes up behind the application.  But that's pretty rare. Seems very stable.

Plus it's free. :)

J-Mac:
Thank you. I'll give WinSize2 a try, though reinstalling Evernote will possibly restore the correct window placement. Still it bothers me that I cannot find where/how to even view that setting, let alone edit it. On many, many apps I have had to go into either INI, DAT, or config files to change settings and even editing registry keys. This is the first time in a long time that I could not find the basic settings for a program. Well, actually I did find them; just can't read 'em!

Thanks again!

Jim

Ha! I thought that sounded way too familiar! I used that on my notebook two years ago for a program that would only open in a relatively small window and I wanted a larger window. Worked a treat then! I used it on my desktop last March for another program - a specialized database program - where the idiot who designed it had so many limitations in it that I never did end up doing a darn thing with it - other than paying for the POS! The developer told me to change my resolution to 800 x 600 manually whenever I used it. Creep! Winsize2 did allow me to increase the window size for that but the actual program's UI stayed the same size within the larger window.

lanux128:
just an idea, instead of editing the registry key, why not delete it (after backing up) and start Evernote to see if the window placement functions normally?

J-Mac:
just an idea, instead of editing the registry key, why not delete it (after backing up) and start Evernote to see if the window placement functions normally?
-lanux128 (January 24, 2011, 09:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

See, I just knew someone would have an idea! Might work - I'll give it a try and post back afterward.

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version