ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to create a shortcut for the "wireless network connection" in Windows XP?

<< < (15/16) > >>

4wd:
Note: Granted using the WiFi API 4wd mentioned above would have been a more elegant solution (simpler code & faster to pound out), however it also doesn't run on (isn't available in) Windows XP ... Which is (after all) or target platform.-Stoic Joker (February 03, 2011, 07:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry if I seem to be pushing a dead donkey but I'm still not clear here, everything I've read on the Native WiFi API says it's available from XP SP2, (SP2 via patch, incorporated into SP3), onwards, (when Wireless Zero Config was introduced - I would have thought most people would be running SP3 by now), the only function not available to XP seems to be WlanGetInterfaceCapability according to MSDN.

So I would have thought that their example code for WlanEnumInterfaces would be just what's needed, (bearing in mind their note about GUIDs at the bottom which seems to make any program more convoluted than it needs to be).

I'm just trying to understand why it wouldn't run for you on XP but feel free to call me an idiot - I've been called worse  :P

Stoic Joker:
It's the distinction we're both tripping over from opposite ends. You're looking at it correctly as it is available after SP2. And I'm looking at it (a bit darkly) because it's available to XP only after SP2. I hate mid-year changes (side effect of being a mechanic).

So if somebody does a fresh install, the program isn't going to run until after they get SP2 installed - Which is why I (in a split hairs fashion) said it isn't available in XP. It's not that it didn't run, as I never tested it...It's just that as soon as I saw the conditional SP2 requirement I (started thinking NT4) decided not to open that can of worms.

<Short Answer> ...You ain't nutz, I am.  :D

4wd:
Aahh...I see.....

But, (you knew that was coming didn't you), prior to XP SP2 doesn't that mean that Wireless Connection Manager, (or the window you get after hitting View Wireless Networks, whatever it's called), wasn't available?

ie. Prior to XP SP2, didn't you have to use whatever software the manufacturer provided with the adapter and as such won't what you're trying to do not work anyway?

Sorry, it's been a while since I saw anything but XP SP3 around.

Stoic Joker:
The Wireless Connection Manager has always been in XP (from day one) ... It is only the WiFi API that gives programmers an easier way to futz with it that is new.

Windows 2000 ... Now that was a 3rd party nightmare PITA when it came time to Wirelessly connect.

4wd:
Thanks for clarifying - I'll leave you to you nutz and futz now  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version