ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to create a shortcut for the "wireless network connection" in Windows XP?

<< < (8/16) > >>

4wd:
Well SJ, looks like you're going to earn your Superboy badge :P

skwire:
Well SJ, looks like you're going to earn your Superboy badge :P-4wd (January 25, 2011, 10:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha...damn right he is.   :D  Welcome to the club...   :P

Stoic Joker:
Well Stoic, if you are planning on making a full fledged program out of this, here are my ideas.  I don't know how feasible any of this is programmatically, they're just end user ideas.

Is there a way for you to have a dialog on just the first startup or somewhere in the option settings where the window detects all the adapters currently installed in Windows? Then the user clicks on the adapter desired, and the program runs from there without anymore dialog on startup.  Now, if the user wants to change adapters, he can do so from the menu or something.-superboyac (January 25, 2011, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I just replace the (GUID missing) error message with the Pick your NIC dialog. Whichever NIC the user picks then gets saved to the .ini/registry (depends), and is automatically used to display the WiFi networks available for it.

command line, ini is ok, but it would be better if it could programmed in the interface.  So if you need options for autostart, suppressing the startup dialog, exit/minimize on close, system tray, etc., it would be better to have those all as checkboxes or something in a options dialog.  But if that's too much work, text file or command line works also.

Also keep in mind having profiles to be used as a portable application?  Yeah?  Then you can run it on other computers and store the settings when you are done.  That would be really cool.-superboyac (January 25, 2011, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Command line option is already there so (no sense in pulling it out) it can be used as a fall-back suppress everything and just run option. I'm still on the fence as to what to do for settings storage and a UI. If I go systemtray then the registry makes more sense. If I go straight portable then the .ini (with save optional) makes more sense. Command line only, with multiple shortcuts, would be a Quick-N-Dirty "profiles" solution (albeit rather cluttered)...But if the user has to stop at a "Pick Network A, B, or C" dialog then we're back to multi clicking things.

Ironically the "simplest" thing might just be to do all-the-above and let the user decide how they want to fire-it-up.

Well SJ, looks like you're going to earn your Superboy badge :P-4wd (January 25, 2011, 10:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha...damn right he is.   :D  Welcome to the club...   :P
-skwire (January 26, 2011, 12:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a little sketchy on this part, should I be flattered, frightened, or both... :)

4wd:
I'm a little sketchy on this part, should I be flattered, frightened, or both... :)
-Stoic Joker (January 26, 2011, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely frightened!

Why?  Probably because you leave yourself open to repeat custom. ;D

Stoic Joker:
Just in case anyone is wondering, I've spent the last few days getting my ass kicked by the ComboBox control for the NIC picking GUI. Getting the NIC list from the registry was a breeze ... How to get it displayed to the user however is proving trickier than I'd anticipated.

Poo...

Maybe the strange antics of the little cubic motorcycle creatures will calm me as I continue this quest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version