ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to create a shortcut for the "wireless network connection" in Windows XP?

<< < (5/16) > >>

superboyac:
Thanks Stoic, for whatever you're trying to do!

wraith808:
Okay, scratch that last part, apparently I'm F'ing retarded ... I missed the use GUID for your NIC part.

GUID is in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards\

Under that is numbered Keys containing the entry ServiceName; its value is the GUID needed.

Let me see what I can do...
-Stoic Joker (January 24, 2011, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for picking that up SJ... I would, if I wasn't swamped with 2 projects, because it looks interesting! :)

Stoic Joker:
This had the appearance of a 5 minute job ... I did mention I was retarded right. :-\

Okay, seriously, Currently I have it setup to pass the GUID to the program via the command line
i.e. WiFi.exe 261AAE34-9C9D-40EB-A25C-CFEDF328E3CF

That part works just dandy. But... I can't get the damn thing to close because of the psudo message loop that has no apparent exit plan.

The program doesn't work without it.

So I'm trying to find some way of reliably torpedoing the damn message loop so I can put a bow on this thing.

Stoic Joker:
Okay, it's almost midnight, so I resorted to duct tape:
Wait 2 sec for window to open.
Call FindWindow(...) in a loop to prop the door open with a stick.

It works, but I'll have to find something better later when I have time.

Usage:
Get the GUID for your WiFi card from the registry.
GUID is in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards\

Under that are numbered Keys containing the entry ServiceName; its value is the GUID needed.
Grab only the alpha-numeric string (No curly brackets {}).

command line or Shortcut target is (example with my GUID):

WiFi.exe 261AAE34-9C9D-40EB-A25C-CFEDF328E3CF

Download removed - current version is later in thread.

Let me know how it works.

worstje:
Stoic Joker, does whatever you use to call the window open it asynchronously on its own thread, inside of your process? E.g. does your message loop actually matter and do stuff, or could you have used a Sleep(10000) and still have stuff basically function till the loop runs out and kills the app after 10s? In that case I might have a solution as I already bumped into such a problem once in the past.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version