topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Closet favorite  (Read 4785 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Closet favorite
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:54 AM »
LBC is like my closet favorite application.  i don't know why.  I always have a little twinkle in my eye whenever I use it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Closet favorite
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:31 AM »
:) thank you for saying that :)

any little special feature requests that would make for a better twinkle?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:34 AM »
:) thank you for saying that :)

any little special feature requests that would make for a better twinkle?
Hmmm...that's a dangerous offer to throw my way, you realize that?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:39 AM »
I did mention the word "little" and I never said I was going to implement them, so i do have my bases covered i think ;)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Ok here's one (you asked for it):
Could there be something that indicates if a shortcut in a menu is a portable shortcut?  Some kind of icon or symbol, or something like that in the preference tree?  Because my launchbar has a mix of portable and local shortcuts, and I know you can see the drive letter in the application address, but it would be nice to see some kind of special color or light indicating that this is a portable shortcut.

Also, how about a refresh button or command for the active menus?  Let me explain, if I start LBC and my thumbdrive isn't in the computer yet, the portable lbc file won't open (obviously, because it can't find the file).  So after I stick in the thumbdrive, I have to close LBC and reopen it so both menus now open.  If there was a way to "refresh" it in a case like that, I'd just click the refresh button and it would see that the thumbdrive is there now and open that menu.  Same goes for if I remove the thumbdrive.  Does that make sense?

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:54 AM »
Also, how about a refresh button or command for the active menus?  Let me explain, if I start LBC and my thumbdrive isn't in the computer yet, the portable lbc file won't open (obviously, because it can't find the file).  So after I stick in the thumbdrive, I have to close LBC and reopen it so both menus now open.  If there was a way to "refresh" it in a case like that, I'd just click the refresh button and it would see that the thumbdrive is there now and open that menu.  Same goes for if I remove the thumbdrive.  Does that make sense?

An alternative that may make it even easier (not necessarily for you though, mouser) would be to poll the drives on the event of plugging in or removing a storage device.  I don't how much that involves, but I know that many programs do that, so I am guessing it is a documented API for Windows.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 11:53 AM »
And as an added incentive, mouser, you'd be able to give yourself one of those very cool superman badges.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Ok, let me move up to top priority adding code that responds when drives are plugged in or removed.  That's been mentioned before in a slightly different context -- a cool idea to have certain buttons or bars show when a drive is inserted.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Ok, let me move up to top priority adding code that responds when drives are plugged in or removed.  That's been mentioned before in a slightly different context -- a cool idea to have certain buttons or bars show when a drive is inserted.
yeah, that would be even better.  I just thought it would be harder for you do implement.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 12:06 AM »
I love this app too! I don’t use it in a portable way but between this and FARR all my launching needs are perfectly met!

BTW I don’t use a dock but instead I just use the Alt+L hotkey and the pop-up menu. Out of the way but always ready!

Thanks!

Jim