ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is System Restore not placed the proper place?

<< < (2/4) > >>

cmpm:
Either keep tapping F8, or when you see the progress bar to start windows, shut it off by the power button or plug. Then you can get to the screen in 4wd's post.

Start in safe mode and it will ask you if you want to use system restore first.

Malwarebytes should clean that problem.
I've had it and heard it before.

4wd:
Either keep tapping F8, or when you see the progress bar to start windows, shut it off by the power button or plug.-cmpm (January 23, 2011, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Except sometimes you end up filling up the keyboard buffer so then all it does is beep at you, although I can't say I've noticed it with my USB keyboard.

I usually try F8 immediately after the various drives are recognised.

Curt:
It doesn't help me or her that your pc is using F8, when the problem was that her and my pc does not. I can assure you that I tapped F8 many times.

But, well, the thread's subject was lost, so I will leave it here.

40hz:
@Curt - make yourself a Vista Recovery Disk for next time you encounter this problem.

1. Click Start button
   2. Click All Programs and select Maintenance
   3. Select Create a Recovery Disk from dropdown menu
   4. Load blank CD or DVD media
   5. Click on Create Disk

Just boot off the disk and select system recovery.

It's pretty much self-explanatory. But full details of what each option does can be found here.
 :)

nudone:
are there really machines out there that deliberatly don't respond to F8 on boot-up?

this sounds more like a hardware issue. could it be a usb keyboard not being detected during the boot process (something disabled in the bios maybe).

other than that, there really ought to be an easier way to restore - it wouldn't kill microsoft to make the "help" system extremely obvioius during boot-up. (or does it, maybe i've just become blind to it.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version