topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: tile open windows for given task in task bar  (Read 14070 times)

bkeadle

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED: tile open windows for given task in task bar
« on: January 23, 2011, 10:42 AM »
I'm a sloppy user - I often have many windows open.   Often I'll find 8 or more notepad tasks (for example).  Though Windows7 task bar lets me click on the task bar and see thumbnails of each of the notepad windows, what I'd *really* like is to be able to right-click on that task menu for a given app, and choose Tile (or cascade), and it would minimize all my other windows, then bring forward and tile/cascade my open notepad windows (or any other multi-windowed application selected in the taskbar)

rsatrioadi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: tile open windows for given task in task bar
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:06 PM »
Actually that feature is already available in Windows Taskbar. I don't know about Windows 7's Superbar (I'll try it later, I'm using my Windows Vista workstation now), but in Windows XP/Vista (and maybe the older versions too), you can select multiple tasks in your Taskbar by holding Ctrl while clicking the taskbar buttons. So to achieve what you wanted, you just need to:

1. Press Win+D to minimize all tasks,
2. Click one task in the taskbar,
3. Hold Ctrl while clicking other tasks that you want to tile/cascade,
4. Right click on one of the selected tasks,
5. Choose one of the options (in Windows Vista: Cascade, Show Windows Stacked, Show Windows Side by Side).

As far as I'm concerned, unfortunately it doesn't work with Google Chrome.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:13 PM »
Doesn't work in Win 7. :(
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

rsatrioadi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:41 AM »
Doesn't work in Win 7. :(

It is odd that Microsoft removed the feature to select multiple taskbar buttons, but as this article shows, it is still available from the task manager.

But if you only need to tile/cascade windows from the same program, good news! Windows 7 gives you the tile/cascade options by Shift+right clicking the taskbar button!

If you want to tile/cascade windows from different programs, though, Windows 7 still gives options to tile/cascade unminimized windows, by right clicking an empty space in the taskbar. So it would mean that you have to minimize all but the windows you want to tile, right click the taskbar, and select one of the windows arrangement options.

Hope this helps :)

bkeadle

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 06:58 AM »
Shift+R-click - brilliant!  Good to know. Thank you!
 :Thmbsup:

So far as tiling selected/different windows, I did know about that procedure - I use it often.

rsatrioadi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 08:13 PM »
You're welcome :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:08 PM »
But if you only need to tile/cascade windows from the same program, good news! Windows 7 gives you the tile/cascade options by Shift+right clicking the taskbar button!

I didn't think to try that one.  One reason I write little apps to do simple things is to get the same action in different Windows flavors.  Too taxing to remember all the nuances.  Maybe not if you're keyboard oriented.  But I like the mouse because I don't have to think(I sense a pattern developing with age but what can I do?)  :)