ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Checking for available domain name = giving it away?

<< < (6/8) > >>

40hz:
The problem is that squatters and domainers have already scooped up so many domains, that you're stuck trying to find *something* that's not already gone, which is a long process of trial and error
--- End quote ---

Same thing tends to be true for company names when you go to register. You think up something cool, then look through the list only to find there's 20 company names that could be confused with your candidate.   :o
-MilesAhead (January 23, 2011, 10:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1  Been there more than a few times myself.

It used to drive me nuts until I allowed myself to realize there are an awful lot of clever and creative people out there.

And if it's true I'm one of them - it merely makes me one of many.

;D

Renegade:
Apparently "what comes around goes around," huh?  :P  ;)
-40hz (January 24, 2011, 12:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahah~!

Well, kind of. I'm not a cause of the problem. I'm a symptom. Because domains disappear, if you want to use one, whether or not you can, you have to buy it.

It's a vicious circle.

The logic bears resemblance to deterrence theory (escalation).

40hz:
Apparently "what comes around goes around," huh?  :P  ;)
-40hz (January 24, 2011, 12:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahah~!

Well, kind of. I'm not a cause of the problem. I'm a symptom. Because domains disappear, if you want to use one, whether or not you can, you have to buy it.

It's a vicious circle.

The logic bears resemblance to deterrence theory (escalation).
-Renegade (January 24, 2011, 01:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

More like Mutually Assured Destruction IMHO.

8)

Renegade:
Push the button~! Push the button~!

BUYYou pushed it!

MilesAhead:
The problem is that squatters and domainers have already scooped up so many domains, that you're stuck trying to find *something* that's not already gone, which is a long process of trial and error
--- End quote ---

Same thing tends to be true for company names when you go to register. You think up something cool, then look through the list only to find there's 20 company names that could be confused with your candidate.   :o
-MilesAhead (January 23, 2011, 10:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1  Been there more than a few times myself.

It used to drive me nuts until I allowed myself to realize there are an awful lot of clever and creative people out there.

And if it's true I'm one of them - it merely makes me one of many.

;D
-40hz (January 24, 2011, 01:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

For some reason a Steve Jobs quote comes to mind.  Something about there being too many smart people out there? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version