ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

Server Slow/Load Issue - Jan 22, 2011 - search temporarily offline

(1/5) > >>

mouser:
search is temporarily offline while we investigate.

mouser:
So far it's looking like Gothi[c] and I may have identified and remedied the problem:

Looking through that access logs (shout out to my Web Log Filter utility for making it a little easier), it seems like the server slowdown may have been caused by a web spider from russia making huge numbers of calls to the search function, which puts pretty heavy demands on the cpu and memory.

In fairness, the fault may have been mostly ours -- when we moved servers, we changed the forum urls from /Forum/bb to the simpler /forum but we didn't update the robots.txt file which tells robot spiders not to try to spider things like the search page.  It's *possible* that this is why the spider was trying to do such massive spidering of search result pages.

This is our working hypothesis -- and we will reopen the search functionality to the public on monday.

cranioscopical:
Search seems quite fast today. I searched on "align" which produced 7 pages of results in a timely manner.

kyrathaba:
I've been unable to connect to my DC FTP account since 1/21.  Tried it again a few minutes ago.  Is this related to the server problem?  Not a problem, since I can back up my files to my other site.  Just curious.

worstje:
I've been unable to connect to my DC FTP account since 1/21.  Tried it again a few minutes ago.  Is this related to the server problem?  Not a problem, since I can back up my files to my other site.  Just curious.
-kyrathaba (January 24, 2011, 11:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

See: moving DCMembers.com to the new server

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version