ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google? Spam? Ads? No... No Conflict of Interest Here...

<< < (3/14) > >>

Carol Haynes:
One simple innovation would be to have a thumbs up and a thumbs down link in the search results page for each link so that rubbish can easily be reported*.
--- End quote ---
There is a way to get around this, if someone codes a bot to thumbs up their own site across multiple IP's ? Trust me, google can't even detect autblogs, let alone catch multiple IP's.
-mahesh2k (January 22, 2011, 08:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Simple make sure that only signed in and verified users see the voting system and take well publicised action against abusers of the system.

In an interesting development I was helping a client set up a gmail account and they now require a real mobile phone number to complete verification.

This raised a problem because the client didn't own a mobile phone and they wouldn't accept a landline number.

Google should insist on proper verification of user accounts - preferably by post or by landline telephone number - this would stop massive numbers of bogus accounts being created and mutliple accounts from the same number can be grouped for manual checking and deletion if no verification response is made.

PayPal have an effective way of verifying users so I can't really understand why Google can't do it properly. They could charge a small fee to cover any admin costs. It would also provide an effective way of banning abusers.

Stoic Joker:
One of the things I need to find is technical info on various laptops.

Try find a manual or upgrade information for a Dell or Toshiba laptop (or any other laptop manufacturer).

I chose those two because they both publish information about their computers beyond the usual user manual (including service manuals).

The results of any search you make in Google ALWAYS come up with the same websites trying to sell freely available stolen information - and often they don't actually have the information you need on the page you are looking at - it is just spam filler to get a result from the search engine.

Conspicuous by their absence are the manufacturer's websites.-Carol Haynes (January 22, 2011, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Many manufacturers (create the problem) hide the true Service Manuals behind certified tech logins (HP/Xerox/Canon/etc.), and only offer (basically useless) User Guides to the public and search engines. Which is why (best I can tell) keyword "Manual" seems to mean "Screw Me" to most search engines.

However... One of our service techs found that many public library websites, do (strangely enough), have many of these manuals available. I have not as yet had the time or need to test his theory, but he seemed awfully proud of himself when telling the story... *Shrug* ...So it could be worth a shot.

Stoic Joker:
In an interesting development I was helping a client set up a gmail account and they now require a real mobile phone number to complete verification.

This raised a problem because the client didn't own a mobile phone and they wouldn't accept a landline number.

Google should insist on proper verification of user accounts - preferably by post or by landline telephone number - this would stop massive numbers of bogus accounts being created and mutliple accounts from the same number can be grouped for manual checking and deletion if no verification response is made.-Carol Haynes (January 22, 2011, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

That turns into a slipery slope quickly, because many people don't have landlines any more (I don't). I have a cell, my wife has a cell, and the dogs aren't going to answer the home phone, so it's basically just a pointless extra expense.

mahesh2k:
Simple make sure that only signed in and verified users see the voting system and take well publicised action against abusers of the system.
--- End quote ---

Again this can be gamed, see the result of DMOZ. Many editors added sites of their friends or their own or by taking money from seo firms.

Google don't rank official content over other content found on the web. For example, google plays fair by letting all rank for the first page. You can beat adobe's tutorial as per current google's algorithm. Google need to give more preference to official site to filter rehashed content.

Why my this post makes sense is because i see the result with networks like about.com or infobarrel or hubpages doing the same.

PayPal have an effective way of verifying users so I can't really understand why Google can't do it properly.
--- End quote ---

Because of such privacy invasion methods paypal has conflict with many governments. It is also not acceptable in or do business with many countries. If google follows similar approach then google will lose a lot of business instead of getting some good result. For example, some people created ID just to surf on orkut network or to check mail. Why should they verify mobile or landline and then if get hacked drop in trouble ? Gmail ID's are usually get easily hacked by wanna-be hackers on orkut network. So this is very serious issue if anyone verifies their personal detail and gets hacked.

Bamse:
Would also help if those companies who encourage affiliate deals started to police their rules for being accepted as member of that club. I have seen products, like PC Tools, which offer a complete package with templates and all, basically an inviation to spam for those with a mindset to live off affiliate deals, set up useless sites with copy and paste content. Why so many clueless people run in to Spyware Doctor when searching for malware removal - and Google helps by including program in their Google Pack. Such companies will of course have rules for what not to do etc. but they could not care less. At least for indexed tech sites this plays a big role for noise level. Actually it also play a big role for sites with original content and all the best intentions in the world but here it is called using your head to monetize ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version