ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

USB Madness With Cooked-Off Ports

<< < (5/6) > >>

Stoic Joker:
You could try GhostBuster to show/remove the ghosted devices and then uninstall the USB driver so that Windows has to reinstall it on next boot.-4wd (January 21, 2011, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quick follow up:

Had another Cooked Port episode this morning (still haven't had time to get back to the other one) ... So I decided to give this one a shot.

I turned it loose in shotgun mode (because it matched the mood I was in), and let it kill any & everything identified as a "Ghost". It was quick & simple enough to use as to almost be boaring ... (There should be screaming)... *Sigh*

The printer works. and! It did not kill the machine (frequent downside of the "shotgun" method), or any of the other actually present devices. So I'm calling this one a keeper.

:)

40hz:
+1 w/StoicJoker.

Had a client machine with a similar problem that had defied any rational analysis by a human. Did a "go for broke" in shotgun mode.  Worked like a charm. And with no bad surprises or collateral damage.

This one earns a permanent place in my tech kit.  :Thmbsup:

techidave:

Not to mention that many USB device installs have the "Don't insert cable until installer tells you to" warning because the device isn't capable of finding its own ass without a map.
-Stoic Joker (January 21, 2011, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D ;D ;D  ROFL

4wd:
I turned it loose in shotgun mode (because it matched the mood I was in)....-Stoic Joker (March 15, 2011, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

How does that line up with:

Warning:
So use it with care and only if you know what you are doing!
--- End quote ---

;D

superboyac:
A) What is shotgun mode?

B) I've never been a fan of USB.  It's convenient and I use it, but I've never been all that impressed with it.  I've always hated the idea of "safely" removing USB stuff.  What's the point of creating this kind of interface when we have to be so concerned about removing it safely.  Why not implement it in such a way so you can pull it out and put it back in  ;D without worrying about it?  And everyone talks about USB speed, and they have benchmarks all over the place with those tech articles, but ALL of my usb speeds have been mediocre at best.  I've never had a USB stick that made me feel like, "Oh shit!  That was pretty fast."  it's always, "What is everyone talking about?  This is not that fast."  I'm talking dozens of different computers and dozens of different sticks.  yes, I know some of you will pull a "well actually" on me...it doesn't matter.  I've tried it with too many different situations to be convinced of anything otherwise.  i don't even know why these tech articles focus so much on those stupid performance graphs anyway.  They never tell me anything.  Just a bunch of bars and colors.  I'll pull up a performance graph from 10 years ago and it'll look exactly the same.  I have no idea what those numbers mean, like in a practical way. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version