ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

USB Madness With Cooked-Off Ports

<< < (3/6) > >>

app103:
Stoic Joker, I fully sympathize with your situation. I have had this happen quite a few times on my last pc. Trying to remember what you can and can't plug in where required keeping a notebook written in pencil. I'd be interested in a solution just as much as you. I haven't had any problems with my current PC but I'd like to be prepared with an answer, just in case I do.

4wd:
Can't say I've had this specific problem, closest I've had is where a device will no longer work in a specific port because of mechanical problems, (socket/plug contacts no longer have good contact).

You could try GhostBuster to show/remove the ghosted devices and then uninstall the USB driver so that Windows has to reinstall it on next boot.

Stoic Joker:
You could try GhostBuster to show/remove the ghosted devices and then uninstall the USB driver so that Windows has to reinstall it on next boot.-4wd (January 21, 2011, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's just a GUI for the DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES environment variable that Shades discussed earlier. It only for removing complete devices that are straggling about on the system. This USB "Phantom" is much more subtle, as it's only a fragment of a prior configuration...That will require a more surgical approach.

4wd:
That's just a GUI for the DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES environment variable that Shades discussed earlier. It only for removing complete devices that are straggling about on the system.-Stoic Joker (January 21, 2011, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know, the reason I mentioned it is because I find it's interface easier than trawling through Device Manager.

But what about uninstalling the USB stack/driver?

EDIT: I just realised you might have thought I meant the USB driver for the device.  I meant the driver for the USB hardware, (motherboard), not the device.

40hz:
Can you thumbnail sketch what was tried and failed, -Stoic Joker (January 21, 2011, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried disabling each USB device one by one to see if the keypad would be identified or reinstalled on the same port after being unplugged then replugged. No such luck. Even went so far as to uninstall a few that I couldn't clearly identify just in case. No joy there either. Even after full reboots.

there may have been a secondary issue with the keypad.
--- End quote ---

Likely. But there's a limit to my patience with stuff like this. Especially after I groused to a fellow tech and he said he had a similar experience with the same device.

Probably goes a long way towards explaining why there was a handful of them in the clearance bin where I found it.  :-\

Can't say I've had this specific problem, closest I've had is where a device will no longer work in a specific port because of mechanical problems, (socket/plug contacts no longer have good contact).-4wd (January 21, 2011, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Socket s/b good. I plugged an external HD into it and copied off 10Gb worth of files this morning. No problems there. I suspect it might have had a bum receiver now that I'm thinking back. The keystroke light didn't flash as regularly as the instructions said it was supposed to.

You could try GhostBuster to show/remove the ghosted devices and then uninstall the USB driver so that Windows has to reinstall it on next boot.

--- End quote ---

Wow! Didn't know about that tool. Just ran it. I'm thinking that just might have solved the problem. Too bad I no longer have the keypad. ;D  Oh well...either way GhostBuster just found a home on my tool key. As you said, its interface is much easier to look at compared to DevMgr. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version