topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: GarageGames: $99 Game Engines (with Source!)  (Read 15219 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
GarageGames: $99 Game Engines (with Source!)
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:14 PM »

You've been patiently waiting and the time has come. GarageGames is back! We've changed our name back to GarageGames and we are dropping the prices on all products to $99.00 to celebrate our new direction and return to our indie roots. It's been a storied ten years for the GarageGames name and we are looking forward to ushering in the next decade.

The return of GarageGames is much more than a $99 price point. It's a commitment to the community who grew with us over the years. It's a return to the values that brought people together to make great games without the burden of unbearable pricing or royalties. Our community is a diverse group of people who are willing and able to help each other grow as game developers and we can't wait to take that community to the next level.

I'm glad to see GarageGames alive again. They have quite an amazing 3D engine so the $99 price point with full source code and no royalties is really amazing! The 2D engine shouldn't be overlooked either.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: GarageGames: $99 Game Engines (with Source!)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Wow. Very interesting. And dirt cheap! I'm very tempted just to buy a license to play with~! :P

All the money I make from the gaming industry is from other people's games. Never done any game stuff for myself before.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:52 PM »
It should be noted that the $99 price point is only temporary, but how long the "sale" lasts and what the price will be afterward are still unknown.

@Everyone, the "limited time" language is sort of up to you. We want to see how the community reacts to such a low price. We would like it to stay around for a while since we think that the price ( or some number near it) is really beneficial for our community. We're in this together ;)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Wow. Very interesting. And dirt cheap! I'm very tempted just to buy a license to play with~! :P

All the money I make from the gaming industry is from other people's games. Never done any game stuff for myself before.

I'm thinking about it too :)  If I didn't already have a hobby project, I probably would now... but I'll wait until I have time to play with it.  But it's very interesting- especially looking at the games made with it.  Thanks!  :Thmbsup:

It should be noted that the $99 price point is only temporary, but how long the "sale" lasts and what the price will be afterward are still unknown.

@Everyone, the "limited time" language is sort of up to you. We want to see how the community reacts to such a low price. We would like it to stay around for a while since we think that the price ( or some number near it) is really beneficial for our community. We're in this together ;)

Thanks for posting this clarification.  So now I *really* have to think about it.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:04 PM »

I'm thinking about it too :)  If I didn't already have a hobby project, I probably would now... but I'll wait until I have time to play with it.  But it's very interesting- especially looking at the games made with it.  Thanks!  :Thmbsup:

Thanks for posting this clarification.  So now I *really* have to think about it.

Grrr...  >:(

Just when I thought I could put this off for a bit... Hmmm... Looks like I need to s*** or get off the pot...

Well, if I can use C# (easily), I'll buy. Need to figure that one out...

Off to let my ADHD make me slightly less productive for the next 30 minutes while I fart around and contemplate whether I wasted 30 minutes or should have just fallen off my wallet 30 minutes ago and bought a license... I'm babbling now... Time to goof-off for a bit before getting back to work... :D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:17 PM »
Well, we'll see...

http://www.garagegam...ms/viewthread/123860

Cross fingers...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 10:46 PM »
You got a reply... something about building your own script bridge, whatever that is.  And you're not the only one on the fence...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Well considering they just made the announcement late last night, I'm under the impression that the $99 price is going to be valid for at least a few weeks still.

EDIT:
Also, I already own Torque 2D, so I could have told you that the engine is written in C++ and it uses a scripting language called TorqueScript. No (easy) way to interface it with C# that I know of.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:53 PM by Deozaan »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 10:58 PM »
You got a reply... something about building your own script bridge, whatever that is.  And you're not the only one on the fence...

Well, we'll see. I don't know what a script bridge is, but I have a feeling that he means "no".

If that's the case, then I'm out. Writing a wrapper for an engine like that is a product and a half itself. I'm not interested in doing a truckload of work so that I can start to do work. I'm only interested in getting right down to it. :)

Oh well... Can't hurt to ask.

Well considering they just made the announcement late last night, I'm under the impression that the $99 price is going to be valid for at least a few weeks still.

EDIT:
Also, I already own Torque 2D, so I could have told you that the engine is written in C++ and it uses a scripting language called TorqueScript. No (easy) way to interface it with C# that I know of.

And that's the last nail in the coffin...

Guess I'm out for that one.

Does anyone know of a good .NET game engine?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 11:58 PM »
GarageGames do have TorqueX which is XNA (C#/.NET IIRC) but they just announced in that post that they're discontinuing it in sometime in February.

See more info here:

TorqueX – February 28th will be the last day that you will be able to purchase TorqueX. The community is tight knit and working on a their own version of the engine, so for the next thirty days you will still be able to buy TorqueX and assign those licensees to other developers through a studio access panel. Discontinuing TorqueX is a hard decision for us, especially when considering how dedicated this community is. I would personally like to take the time to thank Pino. He’s a rock star and anyone using TorqueX knows that. We are still fans of XNA and we have a lot of time invested in the API. Don’t be surprised if/when an XNA based product finds it's way back to GarageGames. We have put a lot of effort into a future Windows Phone 7 product; however, we are taking a step back to reevaluate direction on all emerging platforms. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Also see the TorqueX product page.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:00 AM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 07:16 AM »
I might get it in any case... especially given the blurb on the bottom of the page, and the fact that they're re-evaluating direction, which might mean good things, and the fact that they didn't use the same language as they did with iTorque3D...  especially as they give the source!

torquex.png

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 05:50 AM »
Yeah, and you can also probably count on folks in the forums porting the source to XNA 4.0 if GG don't do it themselves.

There was and RTS kit for GG's older 3D engine (TGE) that was frankly a piece of crap because it was not very compatible with the latest version of TGE. But because the source was available, several people in the community worked on it to port it to the latest version of TGE. Eventually GG made the community updated/ported version available as the official download and, IIRC, made some updates/fixes to it themselves as well.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 09:06 AM »
:/ Whenever i get posted at place with low internet connection speed, such offers pop-up.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 09:52 PM »
:/ Whenever i get posted at place with low internet connection speed, such offers pop-up.

You don't need a high/fast internet connection speed to purchase Torque. :huh:

If you were really interested you could just buy it and then download it in the future when you were somewhere with a better internet connection.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 11:08 AM »
By the way, Renegade, If you really want to use C#, you should check out the Unity game engine. It's highly polished and has a free version for indies.

EDIT: And though I inferred it, just to be clear, it uses C# (or javascript) as the scripting language.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 11:18 AM by Deozaan »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 11:37 AM »
If you were really interested you could just buy it and then download it in the future when you were somewhere with a better internet connection.

Last one and half year, i'm trying to download two softwares purchased online. so there...  ;D

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 11:47 AM »

Last one and half year, i'm trying to download two softwares purchased online. so there...  ;D

I bet some kind soul would download it for you and burn a CD...

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 01:28 PM »
EDIT: And though I inferred it, just to be clear, it uses C# (or javascript) as the scripting language.
Hrm, C# for scripting?

Would that be some sucky-parsed version, or full-blown C# (and thus any .NET language) through dynamic loading of assemblies?
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Hrm, C# for scripting?

Would that be some sucky-parsed version, or full-blown C# (and thus any .NET language) through dynamic loading of assemblies?

I honestly don't know. I believe it is C# through mono, but full-blown or parsed, I do not know. I would guess it's parsed, since Unity doesn't use real Javascript.

I downloaded Unity and played around with it, but all the scripting/coding I did for it was in Javascript since I'm more familiar with that and completely unfamiliar with C#.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 02:57 PM »
^ Looks interesting... I might try both :)  Thanks for the links!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Torque 3D just released a massive update to version 1.1:

We fixed all known crashes in our tools except for one known issue in the gui editor (I’ll post the fix...it just didn’t make the last round by a few hours). In a herculean effort, Rene rewrote zones and portals because the old system was too brittle and he wanted to get it right for our users. We’ve fixed hundreds upon hundreds of bugs (248 confirmed fixes) and performance issues since beta 3. This is the most stable version of Torque since TGE and our QA team of four has done an amazing job! Special thanks also to those who provided feedback and reproduction cases in our forums from the preview we released almost two months ago.

And it's still $99 for the time being.

ddns

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 02:12 AM »
Their site is throwing an error right now:

"Application Error

An internal error has occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience. If this screen has appeared during a transaction, please contact [email protected]. Please, do not attempt the transaction again.

Sorry, the search found no results.
"

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 04:25 PM »
I didn't expect the sale to last this long, but all good things must come to an end:

On sales promotions, our $99 promotion on Torque products will be ending soon. We haven't locked down a date yet, but it is a limited time promotion. I'd also like to note Torsion and pureLIGHT are also limited time sales. Grab them while they are on sale. Keep your eyes open for Torque 2D. There's going to be a sale on two products later on in the week.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 04:45 PM »
The new pricing scheme has been released for Torque 3D 1.2 and will go into effect on October 17th. If you're interested, buy sooner than later to save yourself some money.

http://www.garagegam...ity/blogs/view/21294

New Customer   $179
Torque 3D Binary Owner   $69
Torque 3D Pro Owner   $49
Torque 3D Binary Studio Owner   $40 per seat
Torque 3D Pro Studio Owner   $20 per seat

Torque 3D Pro is $99 right now so if you were to buy it now and then upgrade to T3D 1.2 it would cost $148 which is $31 less than buying it as a new customer for $179.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 06:40 PM »
I wonder why TorqueX is temporarily unavailable?!?