ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

C# GDI+ Problem with byte[] and Bitmap - Memory Issues

<< < (4/6) > >>

Renegade:
"Bitmap bmp = null;" :)
-f0dder (January 20, 2011, 08:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

DOH~!

I've got bada on my brain, and thinking in terms of 2-phase construction...

If what you're saying about GDI+ is right, I may end up doing it all consecutively in a single thread. I hope not...-Renegade
--- End quote ---
Well, I've heard of people resorting to running one process per CPU core in order to parallelize GDI/GDI+ operations - it's per-process re-entrant, but not per-thread-in-process.
-f0dder (January 20, 2011, 08:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd really like to avoid that as I'm not sure that it's worth the overhead to start a new process for each photo. Though a process per core that ran long and returned a result set might be good...

Still... that error is pissing me off and I'd like to see it go away rather than run away from it and do a work around. I hate working around problems if I can avoid it. In other words, I'd rather work around having to do work arounds. :)

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/Large_Objects____Trouble.aspx

worstje:
Is it indeed Win2003 or WinXP you are devving on? Otherwise, that problem you just linked to wouldn't even be related. (Sorry if you posted it somewhere up there; I didn't notice it.)

f0dder:
You definitely don't want to start a process per photo, as process creation (especially for .NET apps) is relatively expensive. If you know you're going to process craploads of images, a process per core is a viable solution; IPC does complicate matters a bit, but it's workable.

I'd suggest you start by testing your current code in a serialized fasion, avoiding the worker pool thread, and see if the memory issue still crops up - if it doesn't, I'd definitely bet my money on a GDI+ reentrancy issue.

nharding:
I've been using my DCDisplay database which is doing 1 image a second (on average, since it has to extract them from archive), and that has been running for 24 hours. I think you should probably decode the images on 1 thread, and do the checksum on a second thread so you would only ever have 1 image being decoded at once.

I found a problem with Texture2D.FromFile (it failed with CYMK format jpg files) so when that fails I use the code below

--- ---if (imageCache == null)
{
  memory.Seek(0, SeekOrigin.Begin);   //Probably safest to do this
  using (System.Drawing.Image image = SD.Bitmap.FromStream(memory))
  using (MemoryStream bitmapStream = new MemoryStream())
  {
     image.Save(bitmapStream, System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Bmp);
     bitmapStream.Seek(0, SeekOrigin.Begin);
     imageCache = Texture2D.FromFile(context, bitmapStream);
     bitmapStream.Close();
  }
}                           

But for your case you can just use the bitmap stream to calculate the checksum (BMP is a really simple format, and it means all the exif data has been stripped)

Neil Harding

Renegade:
I've been using my DCDisplay database which is doing 1 image a second (on average, since it has to extract them from archive), and that has been running for 24 hours. I think you should probably decode the images on 1 thread, and do the checksum on a second thread so you would only ever have 1 image being decoded at once.

I found a problem with Texture2D.FromFile (it failed with CYMK format jpg files) so when that fails I use the code below

--- ---if (imageCache == null)
{
  memory.Seek(0, SeekOrigin.Begin);   //Probably safest to do this
  using (System.Drawing.Image image = SD.Bitmap.FromStream(memory))
  using (MemoryStream bitmapStream = new MemoryStream())
  {
     image.Save(bitmapStream, System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Bmp);
     bitmapStream.Seek(0, SeekOrigin.Begin);
     imageCache = Texture2D.FromFile(context, bitmapStream);
     bitmapStream.Close();
  }
}                           

But for your case you can just use the bitmap stream to calculate the checksum (BMP is a really simple format, and it means all the exif data has been stripped)

Neil Harding
-nharding (January 20, 2011, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

The current code (refactored massively for brevity) looks like this:

--- Code: C# ---private void GetHashForItem(object state){        HashWorkItem hwi = (HashWorkItem)state;        ImageConverter converter = new ImageConverter();        Bitmap bmp = (Bitmap)Bitmap.FromFile(hwi.FileName);        byte[] bytes = new byte[1];         // 1 - Get byte[] data from file or pixels        if (!hwi.CompareExactImageData) // file        {                bytes = (byte[])converter.ConvertTo(bmp, bytes.GetType());        }        else if (hwi.CompareExactImageData) // pixels        {                bytes = GetBytesFromBitmap(bmp);        }         // 2 - The hashing         SuperFastHashUnsafe sfh = new SuperFastHashUnsafe();        hwi.ItemHash = sfh.Hash(bytes);         try        {                // 3 - invoke the delegate to store the results                this.Invoke(new StoreHashResultsDelegate(StoreHashResults), hwi);        }        catch        {        }}
Which boils down to 3 steps:

1) Get bytes
2) Do hash
3) Queue to store results

The hashing has presented no problems so far. I'd be concerned that there would be a performance hit by spinning that off into another thread as I'd be passing a large byte[] array. While it is a reference type, I just don't really like the idea of throwing references around like that. Not sure why. It just strikes me as "out of scopishly odd". :) The method that it's in would go out of scope while the thread is running. Dunno... It just seems like I could start getting null references there if the byte[] were collected (GC'd) before the hashing had completed. Am I too worried?

The one method there is using the bitmap stream already. It saves to the memorystream, then gets the byte[] from there. It must be a byte[] as the memorystream itself can't be hashed.

But either way, I'm still not much closer to solving the problem. The only things I have on my plate left to try out are:

1) MemoryFailPoint -- Try to determine if there is enough memory available, then handle the situation -- http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/Large_Objects____Trouble.aspx
2) Single threading -- get rid of the threadpool and do them all sequentially

I just don't like either. I want things to work as you would expect them to work... I hate work arounds. Well, except for working around work arounds... :) :D  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version