topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Unlocker punishes you for not installing toolbar.  (Read 33352 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Unlocker punishes you for not installing toolbar.
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 05:29 AM »
It's the reason, not the wait!

I agree completely. That's why I cancelled the installation and used a different program.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 10:51 AM »
It's the reason, not the wait!

I agree completely. That's why I cancelled the installation and used a different program.

So... how beta/stable is LockHunter? They do at least have a x64 version I see (Yeah!).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 02:54 PM »
I was probably already bombarded with ads and had to wait 30+ seconds before I could even download the installer.

But didn't you know that: (see attachment in previous post)
 :-\

Finish your sentence! The suspense is torture!

Haha! Sorry, I posted then realised I hadn't added the graphic  :-[

Ha! I bet if the reader donated there wouldn't have been a wait to see the graphic!!  8)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 03:09 PM »
Ha! I bet if the reader donated there wouldn't have been a wait to see the graphic!!  8)

Yep - get their attention with a good "hook" and then leave 'em hanging until they pay up. A very successful business model in several enterprises that I can think of  :tellme:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 09:41 PM »
So... how beta/stable is LockHunter? They do at least have a x64 version I see (Yeah!).

Sorry, didn't see this before.

LockHunter seems to work just fine for me (32-bit).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 10:53 PM »
I did LockHunter when I got a Vista64 PC. Just for grins I checked the home page again.  Same version as when I installed xx months ago.  Doesn't seem like it will be updated often.  If anything UnLocker has a tendency to be fixed a bit too often. I turn off check for updates and just manually check now and then.

I don't like people trying to put toolbars/searchbars on or change my home page.  I wonder if it would be less annoying to just launch to a Donate page in the default browser and leave it hang there?  If they don't want to push the button fine.  At least it's a hint without putting crapware on the machine though.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:54 PM by MilesAhead »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 05:52 AM »
yeah i have to say, i think having to wait 30 seconds doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing.  it's a bit similar to the DC approach to license keys.

Mouser, I don't think it is similar at all. 30 seconds is not a big deal. These days even Firefox makes you wait before you can click the "Install" button for an add-on (though more like 5 seconds, not 30, and not for a commercial reason), and we're all used to shareware nag screens - but the short wait s not the problem. Like Deozaan, I'd quit the installation, because the software author clearly thinks I'm an idiot!

I unchecked the box, meaning I don't want the toolbar. So the 30 second wait is either (a) indeed designed as a punishment of sorts, or (b) designed to give me time to change my mind. As if the author was thinking: Maybe the user is really dumb, maybe in 30 seconds he or she will decide they want the toolbar after all.

Well, sorry. A no is a no.

You know how difficult it is to say no to an insurance guy who really needs to make his  monthly quota? I won't accept that experience with software :-)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:55 AM by tranglos »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 08:04 AM »
...I've always wanted to be punished by a software application! :'(

Yeah? Try installing and using iTunes on a Windows PC then. That should do ya! :P

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 08:53 AM »
I am all for a clear differentiation between shareware and freeware. Choose one and leave stuff out of it. If, say Unlocker, is what I need I will pay instead of toolbars, nags, etc.

Shareware, may be offer a trial and then you pay, period.
Freeware, free, period. I am even hesitant about commercial use restrictions but I can appreciate the difference.

Need to point out: I have nothing against the donation model like DC because I see it as a distinct category

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 10:51 AM »
...I've always wanted to be punished by a software application! :'(

Yeah? Try installing and using iTunes on a Windows PC then. That should do ya! :P

Besides weighing a ton and being a little slow, iTunes has worked for me...
(I only use it to restore iPhones, tho)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 08:37 AM »
Still no updates on Lockhunter since April 2009

Probably too soon for me to say (I just installed 64 bit version today on win7) - but it has already worked successfully for me anyways ;-)
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 03:41 PM »
Still no updates on Lockhunter since April 2009

Probably too soon for me to say (I just installed 64 bit version today on win7) - but it has already worked successfully for me anyways ;-)

Hay one out of one is as good a place to start as any. At the rate I'm going I might actually get one or the other installed by next January.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 05:38 AM »
I must have missed this punishment, as I do not recall it ever being a problem, and I have used Unlocker for ages.
There had been a longstanding and recurring problem with a Yabector "eBay trojan/worm" in the install file though - as MS Security Essentials used to call it.
But it all seems to have been cleaned up for my last version: Unlocker1.9.1-x64.exe
A very useful proggy, IMHO.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 06:20 AM »
I must have missed this punishment, as I do not recall it ever being a problem, and I have used Unlocker for ages.
[snip]
But it all seems to have been cleaned up for my last version: Unlocker1.9.1-x64.exe

I'm not sure where in the world you are, but according to scancode, it only "punishes" you if you live in USA or GBR.

Update: after a little REing, I found it uses GetLocaleInfoA to detect if you're in GBR or USA and if so installs the bing bar, doing a 30 sec countdown with the delay.dll NSIS plugin, if not, just offers QuickStores with no delay whatsoever.

Grr.

Or you may be right, and the software author may have removed the punishment in the latest version.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2011, 11:40 PM »
@Deozaan: OIC. Well then, I live in Australasia, so I guess that's why I never saw it on the install.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2011, 03:43 AM »
Well then, I live in Australasia

I'll probably get made fun of for being a stupid ethnocentric American who doesn't know his geology (;)) very well, but where exactly is Australasia?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2011, 04:07 AM »
I'll probably get made fun of for being a stupid ethnocentric American who doesn't know his geology (;)) very well, but where exactly is Australasia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasiaw

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2011, 04:31 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasiaw

Well I'll be. . .

You learn something new every day. Like that your link doesn't work.  :P

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2011, 04:34 AM »
Like that your link doesn't work.
It will if you scrape off the extraneous prefix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasia

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2011, 05:38 AM »
First of all, if you are actually waiting there.. for 30 secs.. you're fault. Most of the time when I download from rs/mf/other download sites you get a timer.. who the hell is gonna sit there and watch the screen? Infact, I think we should be a little greatful for any software that doesn't expire the time limit so you have to rewait! lol.

Sure, the timer is an annoyance, but for the price of the software and its use to you far outweighs the "wait".
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2011, 06:08 AM »
I'm buggered if I can answer that. I am having enough problems finding a decent public toilet here, never mind a map. Twenty years ago I was flying to Thailand from the UK but fell asleep on the aircraft and instead of changing at Singapore like I should have I went to the end of the line and got thrown off the plane in somewhere called Godzone. Anyway, what the heck is an "American"?

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 08:12 AM »
The main problem is that it install is the wrong time to ask for support or donations - just like at registration on a new site is the wrong time to ask me to recommend to a friend or upgrade to "plus".

I don't know if I want to give you my browser revenue/a donation/risk inconveniencing my friends, I haven't used your software/site yet! So making me wait hardly is going to help anything.

Now when the software/site detects that it is the nth time or nth hour it has been running, then would be a good time. I'm more likely to donate, or subscribe to a newsletter/feed/toolbar once I am using the tool and have found it valuable

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2011, 09:22 AM »
The main problem is that it install is the wrong time to ask for support or donations - just like at registration on a new site is the wrong time to ask me to recommend to a friend or upgrade to "plus".

I don't know if I want to give you my browser revenue/a donation/risk inconveniencing my friends, I haven't used your software/site yet! So making me wait hardly is going to help anything.

Now when the software/site detects that it is the nth time or nth hour it has been running, then would be a good time. I'm more likely to donate, or subscribe to a newsletter/feed/toolbar once I am using the tool and have found it valuable

So true. Very well stated!

Jim

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 10:48 AM »
Like that your link doesn't work.
It will if you scrape off the extraneous prefix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasia

Yeah... DC automagically puts the decorations on links to wikipedia (also explains the 'w' at the end), but I don't think most people know that...

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 06:35 PM »

+1