ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Unlocker punishes you for not installing toolbar.

<< < (7/11) > >>

MilesAhead:
I did LockHunter when I got a Vista64 PC. Just for grins I checked the home page again.  Same version as when I installed xx months ago.  Doesn't seem like it will be updated often.  If anything UnLocker has a tendency to be fixed a bit too often. I turn off check for updates and just manually check now and then.

I don't like people trying to put toolbars/searchbars on or change my home page.  I wonder if it would be less annoying to just launch to a Donate page in the default browser and leave it hang there?  If they don't want to push the button fine.  At least it's a hint without putting crapware on the machine though.

tranglos:
yeah i have to say, i think having to wait 30 seconds doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing.  it's a bit similar to the DC approach to license keys.-mouser (January 19, 2011, 09:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mouser, I don't think it is similar at all. 30 seconds is not a big deal. These days even Firefox makes you wait before you can click the "Install" button for an add-on (though more like 5 seconds, not 30, and not for a commercial reason), and we're all used to shareware nag screens - but the short wait s not the problem. Like Deozaan, I'd quit the installation, because the software author clearly thinks I'm an idiot!

I unchecked the box, meaning I don't want the toolbar. So the 30 second wait is either (a) indeed designed as a punishment of sorts, or (b) designed to give me time to change my mind. As if the author was thinking: Maybe the user is really dumb, maybe in 30 seconds he or she will decide they want the toolbar after all.

Well, sorry. A no is a no.

You know how difficult it is to say no to an insurance guy who really needs to make his  monthly quota? I won't accept that experience with software :-)

40hz:
...I've always wanted to be punished by a software application! :'(
-scancode (January 19, 2011, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah? Try installing and using iTunes on a Windows PC then. That should do ya! :P

rgdot:
I am all for a clear differentiation between shareware and freeware. Choose one and leave stuff out of it. If, say Unlocker, is what I need I will pay instead of toolbars, nags, etc.

Shareware, may be offer a trial and then you pay, period.
Freeware, free, period. I am even hesitant about commercial use restrictions but I can appreciate the difference.

Need to point out: I have nothing against the donation model like DC because I see it as a distinct category

scancode:
...I've always wanted to be punished by a software application! :'(
-scancode (January 19, 2011, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah? Try installing and using iTunes on a Windows PC then. That should do ya! :P
-40hz (April 22, 2011, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Besides weighing a ton and being a little slow, iTunes has worked for me...
(I only use it to restore iPhones, tho)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version