topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Unlocker punishes you for not installing toolbar.  (Read 34065 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Unlocker punishes you for not installing toolbar.
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:34 PM »
I recently was having trouble renaming a file because Windows said it was in use when it wasn't, so I downloaded Unlocker which I've used before and has been recommended multiple times here on DC.

The installer asked me if I wanted to download the Bing toolbar, and when I unchecked the box it disabled the "next" button and started a 30 second countdown timer before it would let me continue the installation. :o :huh:

I cancelled the installation and used LockHunter instead. :Thmbsup:

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Unlocker punishes you for not installing toolbar.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:50 PM »

It didn't for me :( I've always wanted to be punished by a software application! :'(

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:38 PM »
It didn't for me :( I've always wanted to be punished by a software application! :'(

Now there's gotta be an idea for a new NANY app in THAT comment!

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Yeah, perhaps a bit cynical.

But also come on, developer makes an app in his free time and includes the bing toolbar in the hopes of getting some revenue. Then you get angry when he asks you to wait 30 seconds after opting not to support him. There is a definite hint of the "entitled" generation here >:(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:17 PM »
yeah i have to say, i think having to wait 30 seconds doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing.  it's a bit similar to the DC approach to license keys.  i do not like these bundled toolbars and wouldn't include them with my apps, but i can imagine putting a 30second delay in an installer for non-donators and asking people to consider donating.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:20 PM »
And would you remove the ability to unzip for non-donators too then?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Yeah, perhaps a bit cynical.

But also come on, developer makes an app in his free time and includes the bing toolbar in the hopes of getting some revenue. Then you get angry when he asks you to wait 30 seconds after opting not to support him. There is a definite hint of the "entitled" generation here >:(

I was probably already bombarded with ads and had to wait 30+ seconds before I could even download the installer. Then when I decide I don't want the malware toolbar on my PC I have to wait longer? I don't think it's EVER a good idea to force people to wait to install your program once they get their hands on it.

Who knows? Maybe I would have liked it so much that I'd have made a donation to him. But because of that stupid trick I'm never going to use it again and I'm definitely not going to recommend it to anyone else.

Not sure why it didn't for you. I got it from Cnet. Here's a screenshot of the countdown timer:

Unlocker Crap.png

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:24 PM »
yeah i have to say, i think having to wait 30 seconds doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing.  it's a bit similar to the DC approach to license keys.  i do not like these bundled toolbars and wouldn't include them with my apps, but i can imagine putting a 30second delay in an installer for non-donators and asking people to consider donating.

I would much rather look at a 30 second countdown timer that says "If you like this software, please take the next 30 seconds to consider donating to this project." than to be punished for choosing not to install bundled malware.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 09:27 PM »

Perhaps you could whip up something for us…

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:27 PM »
I was probably already bombarded with ads and had to wait 30+ seconds before I could even download the installer.

But didn't you know that:
faugh.jpgUnlocker punishes you for not installing toolbar.

:-\

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 09:28 PM »

Perhaps you could whip up something for us…
-cranioscopical (January 19, 2011, 09:27 PM)

I was probably already bombarded with ads and had to wait 30+ seconds before I could even download the installer.

But didn't you know that:

Finish your sentence! The suspense is torture!

EDIT: What the? No graphics appeared when I made this reply until after I posted...  :-[ I could have sworn the quoted text didn't even include the attachment stuff... :huh: :-\ So I've edited to make it look like what it was when I posted. :P
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:32 PM by Deozaan »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 09:30 PM »

But didn't you know that: (see attachment in previous post)
 :-\

Finish your sentence! The suspense is torture!

Haha! Sorry, I posted then realised I hadn't added the graphic  :-[

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 09:46 PM »
Update: after a little REing, I found it uses GetLocaleInfoA to detect if you're in GBR or USA and if so installs the bing bar, doing a 30 sec countdown with the delay.dll NSIS plugin, if not, just offers QuickStores with no delay whatsoever.

Grr.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 10:03 PM »
i do not like these bundled toolbars and wouldn't include them with my apps, but i can imagine putting a 30second delay in an installer for non-donators and asking people to consider donating.

To be honest, I think imposing a 30-second delay when the person hasn't even installed the software may wind up alienating a potential donor who resents being penalized.  After all, the person probably has no idea yet whether s/he will like the software.  It's OK to ask the person to consider donating, but imposing an obstacle during the installation process seems to me to be potentially counterproductive.  I say this as someone who has happily donated for software I really like, but I do so only after I've had a chance to use it and see how terrific it is.  

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 10:20 PM »
just to clarify -- i am not going to be adding any delay -- i was just mentioning that the principle of it didn't bother me.

as far as alientating potential donors, it absolutely will do that with some percentage of users and make them refuse to use it at all.

but then the exact same thing could be said (and is said and is true) about the license keys.

there is no perfect solution that makes everyone happy -- it just does not exist.  everything is a compromise if you are trying to find a way to raise money from your software without simply making it a pay-to-use product (and of course that brings with it it's own set of challenges).

having said that, i do tend to agree with cyberdiva that you are better off as an author in letting the user easily and safely use your software before bothering them.  so putting the delay in the installer is not a great start to their experience.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 12:15 AM »
I think it is a nice touch from Unlocker that they list extra "Promotional features" in changelog. Most do not, almost seems like they would not want you do take too much notice - just click, click ;) Unless installation is set up to trick users into clicking wrong buttons or make them dizzy with too many unrelated windows, information of process should take away most annoyances. He does not highlight it that much, not like Registrybooster crap, and may be it will vanish after next update since no longer news but under the circumstances which is 2011 internet and almost everything goes, it is better than nothing. These sometimes sneaky marketing add-ons should be part of license policy for program. Should be mentioned right next do download link. Then anyone know what to expect and cannot claim X program secretly hijacked search box in browser or other evils.

Notice how he melts Registrybooster in to download section http://cedrick.collo...r/unlocker/#download almost as part of his site. Old trick and a hint of how he look at marketing towards users and what to expect ;) 30 sec timer is just his way of annoying you in his defeat. Still think it is good he give a little mention of promotional features.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 05:20 AM »
Update: after a little REing, I found it uses GetLocaleInfoA to detect if you're in GBR or USA and if so installs the bing bar, doing a 30 sec countdown with the delay.dll NSIS plugin, if not, just offers QuickStores with no delay whatsoever.

Wow!  So there's a benefit to living below the equator....cool!

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 06:04 AM »
GRR, I fail. "No delay whatsoever" should become "1 second delay" >.>

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 11:24 PM »
As to the comment that a 30 second wait isn't unreasonable, I say Bullshit! I donated to him! I don’t want to see such crap and so I do indeed donate to every free software developer whose app I use. Granted there are a lot I have tried and didn't continue to use - they get nothing. But I do use some freeware and I always donate if requested. And I have donated in cases when it was NOT requested!

mouser, I don’t know what you mean regarding the approach to license keys here at DC. I never used any DC software until after I donated - to be honest I didn't think you could even do that! Maybe you couldn't do that back when I registered; or else I just missed it.

Anyway, if he wants to develop software, then just do it!  :P  If donations aren't cutting it then start charging for his work - I certainly don’t have a problem with that. But when it is given freely I am very appreciative and I show it how I can. But if installing crapware or adware is how he wants to be recompensed then it isn't really offered "free" anymore. My opinion, anyway. I think it is ExifViewer that has no distinction between their paid and free versions other than a 45 second start delay if the program is not registered. Annoying? Yes. But not very. It would have annoyed me more if he had packaged Ebay crap and especially a toolbar - of any kind - with the program. Either make it truly free (read: donation-based), or don’t. But once they insist on adding crap I stop using it.   ;)

Thanks!

Jim

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 08:27 AM »
So a 45 seconds delay at every startup is more reasonable than a 30 seconds delay once at install time? :tellme:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 08:47 AM »
So a 45 seconds delay at every startup is more reasonable than a 30 seconds delay once at install time? :tellme:

It does sound awfully bad when you put it that way doesn't it ... Unless of course you're being forced to watch a 30 sec tampon commercial ... Then it's a perfectly reasonable time to breakout the flamethrower.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 09:37 AM »
In order to unlock the content of this post you must watch the following:

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 11:53 AM »
It's the reason, not the wait!

My opinion...

Jim

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 01:16 PM »
It's the reason, not the wait!

My opinion...

Jim

Standing on the principal of the thing ... I'm ok with that. (...was just trying to have a bit of fun earlier)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Oh, no harm, no foul!   :)  As thick-skinned as I need to be...  (Shoot, I grew up Irish surrounded by miles of Italian neighborhoods in South Philadelphia.) Plus I really don’t mind getting kicked around for principles. Do it all the time!

Jim