ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Unlocker punishes you for not installing toolbar.

<< < (3/11) > >>

Deozaan:
It didn't for me :( I've always wanted to be punished by a software application! :'(
-scancode (January 19, 2011, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now there's gotta be an idea for a new NANY app in THAT comment!
-timns (January 19, 2011, 08:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps you could whip up something for us…
-cranioscopical (January 19, 2011, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was probably already bombarded with ads and had to wait 30+ seconds before I could even download the installer.
-Deozaan (January 19, 2011, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

But didn't you know that:-timns (January 19, 2011, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Finish your sentence! The suspense is torture!

EDIT: What the? No graphics appeared when I made this reply until after I posted...  :-[ I could have sworn the quoted text didn't even include the attachment stuff... :huh: :-\ So I've edited to make it look like what it was when I posted. :P

timns:
I was probably already bombarded with ads and had to wait 30+ seconds before I could even download the installer.
-Deozaan (January 19, 2011, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

But didn't you know that: (see attachment in previous post)
 :-\
-timns (January 19, 2011, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Finish your sentence! The suspense is torture!
-Deozaan (January 19, 2011, 09:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Haha! Sorry, I posted then realised I hadn't added the graphic  :-[

scancode:
Update: after a little REing, I found it uses GetLocaleInfoA to detect if you're in GBR or USA and if so installs the bing bar, doing a 30 sec countdown with the delay.dll NSIS plugin, if not, just offers QuickStores with no delay whatsoever.

Grr.

cyberdiva:
i do not like these bundled toolbars and wouldn't include them with my apps, but i can imagine putting a 30second delay in an installer for non-donators and asking people to consider donating.
-mouser (January 19, 2011, 09:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

To be honest, I think imposing a 30-second delay when the person hasn't even installed the software may wind up alienating a potential donor who resents being penalized.  After all, the person probably has no idea yet whether s/he will like the software.  It's OK to ask the person to consider donating, but imposing an obstacle during the installation process seems to me to be potentially counterproductive.  I say this as someone who has happily donated for software I really like, but I do so only after I've had a chance to use it and see how terrific it is.  

mouser:
just to clarify -- i am not going to be adding any delay -- i was just mentioning that the principle of it didn't bother me.

as far as alientating potential donors, it absolutely will do that with some percentage of users and make them refuse to use it at all.

but then the exact same thing could be said (and is said and is true) about the license keys.

there is no perfect solution that makes everyone happy -- it just does not exist.  everything is a compromise if you are trying to find a way to raise money from your software without simply making it a pay-to-use product (and of course that brings with it it's own set of challenges).

having said that, i do tend to agree with cyberdiva that you are better off as an author in letting the user easily and safely use your software before bothering them.  so putting the delay in the installer is not a great start to their experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version