ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dual Booting Win XP and Win 7

<< < (4/4)

4wd:
Does hardware acceleration even work (properly) if you run Win7 in a VM? I know vmware supports "some" version of Direct3D, but iirc it was a relatively low version - and I bet there's a speed hit as well.
-f0dder (January 18, 2011, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

VirtualBox uses hardware acceleration, (still listed as experimental): DX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) in my XP VM
The W7 VM says it's DX11 and Direct3D is enabled but there's no AGP Texture Acceleration.

I'm guessing with that disabled, any game is going to run pretty rough.

Just as a test I installed Serious Sam II, (original version, not HD - so not the latest in gaming requirements necessary), in a W7HPx86 VM, (2xCPU, 4GB), and besides the mouse interaction being hyper-sensitive the actual framerates were absolute crap - estimate at around 10fps (if you were lucky).

Note, this was running the VM on my W7x64 machine, so as SJ said, running it from XP is probably going to fare much worse.

Stoic Joker:
Might help a bit if you expanded on why you want to stick with XP as a primary OS. Which would indeed be a substantial performance hit trying to VM 7.-Stoic Joker (January 18, 2011, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Given he's already mentioned he wants W7 for games:-4wd (January 18, 2011, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Right. I was trying to diplomatically give HB some room to elaborate on why they wanted XP to be the primary OS (what is the reason driving that requirement) ... Given the number of folks jumping on the poor sole... :)

4wd:
Right. I was trying to diplomatically give HB some room to elaborate on why they wanted XP to be the primary OS (what is the reason driving that requirement) ...-Stoic Joker (January 18, 2011, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I realised that after I hit the Post button....ah well.

Never let it be said that I let a little thing like a Post button get in the way of something truly obvious to everyone else.    :-[

Still, if nothing else, I have proved that SS2 runs like shit in a VM :)

f0dder:
And keep in mind that Serious Sam, especially the original, has very low hardware requirements, and will do 100+ fps on several years old graphics cards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version