ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dual Booting Win XP and Win 7

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
But suddenly that's a great idea, Installing Xp and then Win7 in Virtual  PC.  Their would be no reason to Dual Boot , instead use it on Virtual PC.-hulkbuster (January 18, 2011, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's doing it wrong.
-f0dder (January 18, 2011, 02:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree - Win 7 needs more resources than XP so installing XP as a VM inside Win 7 would be my choice.

Stoic Joker:
XP for me is the first and needed OS of choice-hulkbuster (January 18, 2011, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Might help a bit if you expanded on why you want to stick with XP as a primary OS. Which would indeed be a substantial performance hit trying to VM 7.

4wd:
Might help a bit if you expanded on why you want to stick with XP as a primary OS. Which would indeed be a substantial performance hit trying to VM 7.-Stoic Joker (January 18, 2011, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Given he's already mentioned he wants W7 for games:

Some games doesn't work well in Win Xp, soon getting a 1GB Graphic card for this; hopefully those games will run in Win 7.-hulkbuster (January 17, 2011, 10:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Using W7 in a VM to run games is pretty much a cr*p solution right from the start no matter what graphics card he has, considering the resource usage of W7 and then the resource usage of modern games on top of that.

Much better to do as both Carol and f0dder say, install W7, (use that for the games), and use XP in a VM, dual boot or use a removable drive caddy/cage.

f0dder:
Does hardware acceleration even work (properly) if you run Win7 in a VM? I know vmware supports "some" version of Direct3D, but iirc it was a relatively low version - and I bet there's a speed hit as well.

Stoic Joker:
Does hardware acceleration even work (properly) if you run Win7 in a VM?-f0dder (January 18, 2011, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

No (for VPC), the only video card under VPC is the S3 Trio which according to dxdiag has both Direct3D and AGP Texture Acceleration disabled. VMware may do better, but I doubt it could stably lob enough resources to 7 through XP.

Edit: I just tried the DirectDraw test on my XP VPC, it was a bit choppy ... (froze twice).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version