ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

LibreOffice UI Mockups (with sidebar)

<< < (7/8) > >>

40hz:
(see attachment in previous post)

v.3.3_Stable released yesterday morning and can be downloaded here.
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2011/01/the-document-foundation-announces-first-release-of-libreoffice.ars
-zridling (January 26, 2011, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Been using it for a few days now and I'm very happy with it so far. Does seem to be lighter and more responsive. Some minor but nice cosmetic improvements too!  :Thmbsup:

Note: if you have RC4, it's the same as the final build. Per the LibreOffice website release note for V3.3 Final:

This release is bit-for-bit identical to the Release Candidate 4, so you don't need to download or reinstall if you have that version already.
--- End quote ---

JavaJones:
If this signals accelerated dev for the OOo code base (obviously now under the banner of LibreOffice) then I'm thrilled. I've always seen OOo as having tremendous potential but development seemed rather slow considering how much dev and corporate support their was behind the thing. So far LibreOffice seems to have made more improvements faster than OOo ever did, which is promising. I have yet to test it, I think I'll wait for the next major release, but I'm glad this is happening, not just because it was necessitated by the Oracle buy-out, but because OOo was stagnating a bit anyway.

- Oshyan

zridling:
If this signals accelerated dev for the OOo code base (obviously now under the banner of LibreOffice) then I'm thrilled. I've always seen OOo as having tremendous potential but development seemed rather slow considering how much dev and corporate support their was behind the thing. So far LibreOffice seems to have made more improvements faster than OOo ever did, which is promising. - Oshyan-JavaJones (January 26, 2011, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly! And when you figure most communication is web/network-based rather than in ODF or MS-OOXML formats, there's only so much you can do anymore with a word processor -- especially in the age when few can spell or type more than 140 characters. I mean, who has the time to read 200 characters! v3.3 was for stability; v.3.4 should bring some much wanted new features.
 :P

zridling:
Here's a short illustrated article on 3.3's few new features:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/libreoffice-33-release-brings-new-features

zridling:
It opens in less than a second on my old computer under openSUSE Linux. And the preloader's been gone a while now. I regularly open a 6.2mb spreadsheet file from the desktop and it takes just over a second. No way I can be unhappy with that response. I do hope, though, that if future versions bring "heavy" new features, the user will be able to include/install them modularly. I don't need everything, just Writer, Calc, and Formula.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version