topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Browser Wars Mega Review ...  (Read 6503 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Browser Wars Mega Review ...
« on: February 22, 2006, 03:58 AM »
I just found this review of a range of browsers ... http://internetweek.cmp.com/179101486

It is truly mega and includes info about IE 7 (which looks really interesting), Firefox 1.5, Opera 8.5, Maxthon 1.5

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but it was new to me. Maxthon particularly comes for some seriously glowing comments, but IE 7 looks set to wow when the final version comes out (I refuse to download MS betas any more so I haven't tried it yet).

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Browser Wars Mega Review ...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 07:38 AM »
maxthon rules.

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 09:05 AM »
As a former Maxthon addict, I found it hard to tear myself away it :(, but once you add the proper extensions (especially the tabbing extensions) Firefox is every bit as powerful  ;) and more so with all the other free extensions that continue to be developed.

jdd

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 09:21 AM »
18 page discussion of the different browsers! nice find.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 11:32 AM »
As a former Maxthon addict, I found it hard to tear myself away it :(, but once you add the proper extensions (especially the tabbing extensions) Firefox is every bit as powerful  ;) and more so with all the other free extensions that continue to be developed.

jdd

i keep saying it, and i'm sure i'll say it again, i'll have to give firefox a proper go with the right extensions - it's just finding the time to do it. hard to change over when maxthon is set how i like right now. but with the advice coming from you, jdd, then i'm more inclined to try firefox as you are obviously aware of the differences.

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 12:39 PM »
nudone,  I use a bunch of differrent extensions for various things but to get the tab functionality in good working order, you probably want to get the following extensions.  It takes a little tweaking to get the settings right.

Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.4 (essential)
Colorful Tabs 0.3 (so pretty)
Closy 1.1.0 (not sure this is needed w/Tab Mix Plus but I had already installed it)
Tabbrowser Preferences 1.2.8.8 (ditto)

The only thing I really miss are the so-called ‘System Buttons’ on the System Bar in Maxthon but there are other ways to get there in Firefox.  And it's probably only a matter of time before this option comes along.

It would also be nice if there was an easy way to import the Maxthon Groups into Firefox.  Probably is but I haven't figure it out yet.

I tip my saucer to the folks at Maxthon for providing such a powerful, easy to use browser available for free.  I have to admit, I still have it loaded and I'm not 100% converted yet.

jdd

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 02:24 PM »
i'll put a date in my diary to try it with the extensions you say. i'd certainly not be happy without a nice set of tabs. thanks jdd.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 02:48 PM »
The author of this well-written article ends up doing exactly what I did:

Switching (back) to Opera after a short-lived flirt with FireFox. I also switched to Maxthon after being frustrated for a time with Opera's GMail rendering (something they are working on).

But I can't do without Opera now that I've experienced how much better it magically makes images and fonts look, how much smoother the scrolling is, and all the little built in nick-nacks that are just plain cool (built in IRC client, RSS feeder, BitTorrent protocol).

In addition to Opera's compelling features, Firefox lost me with 1.5. Clearly the weight of OpenSores (f0dder's term) is coming down on the project, as you can see its move towards chaos. Please, no flames, I'm not here to debate this.

I think that any person who gives Opera a chance will become hooked on it as I have.

But getting people to give it a chance is another matter. Most people won't ever use anything but IE. Getting so many people to try Firefox was the result of an amazingly exuberant media blitz, the like of which may not ever happen again. But even with this amazing blitz, most people never tried Firefox, and fewer switched to it.

Opera needs to fix the few rendering issues it has with street-web, then somehow initiate a large media blitz. Perhaps millions in advertising is the only way. But then how are they going to make money? Beats me. They have some commercial interests in embedded and PDA environments, so maybe that'll save them.

Go Opera. You made a believer out of me.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 02:52 PM »
when roboform comes out for opera im going to give opera another try.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 03:05 PM »
RoboForm is the killer functionality for me too

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 06:30 AM »
Opera needs to fix the few rendering issues it has with street-web, then somehow initiate a large media blitz. Perhaps millions in advertising is the only way. But then how are they going to make money? Beats me. They have some commercial interests in embedded and PDA environments, so maybe that'll save them.

Fortunately for Opera Software, they do have their fingers in other things -- particularly embedded and mobile systems -- this is what has largely kept them afloat and what has sustained them after pulling the plug on charging for Opera.  This is also why Opera has been able to develop such amazing software without having to "win" the browser war.  While the desktop Opera browser may very well be their public application, a business card of sorts, I don't think for a moment it's their primary source of income.

That said, Nintendo recently announced they were going to be releasing Opera for their DS game system -- and I'd be willing to bet Opera for their upcoming "Revolution" is a thusly-unspoken part of the deal.

Opera's a beautiful application, there's a certain elegance to her you just don't find elsewhere.