ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I need advice: which laptop to buy?

<< < (6/7) > >>

brotherS:
edited my post above:

[...]
Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 NSLDFGE
[...]

[edit] I was working with this a little today. The fan does start and stop, so I guess that rules it out [/edit]
-tomos (January 17, 2011, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
-tomos (January 21, 2011, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Too bad... :(

Then hopefully JavaJones buys the other one and can tell me about the fan there! :)

xtabber:
edited my post above:

[...]
Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 NSLDFGE
[...]

[edit] I was working with this a little today. The fan does start and stop, so I guess that rules it out [/edit]
-tomos (January 17, 2011, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
-tomos (January 21, 2011, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Most laptops will allow you to set the fan to stay on through the BIOS, if that's what you REALLY want.  I don't see why you would want the fan running when it doesn't need to be.  The power manager on Lenovo computers will allow you to set the fan to maximize performance, which is a better way to go, IMOH.

f0dder:
Most laptops will allow you to set the fan to stay on through the BIOS, if that's what you REALLY want.  I don't see why you would want the fan running when it doesn't need to be.  The power manager on Lenovo computers will allow you to set the fan to maximize performance, which is a better way to go, IMOH.-xtabber (January 22, 2011, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'd rather have the fans running constantly, but at a lower rate, than having the JET EXHAUST NOISE every-so-often :)

brotherS:
I'm with f0dder!

@xtabber: check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3tin-05CEM (and turn the volume up) to get an idea how annoying it can be in a quiet room. Probably not so bad in a loud and hectic work environment.

Carol Haynes:
Been flogging a lot of Samsung HD laptops recently (eg. R540). Reasonably priced, well made and nice screens with the advantage of a full size keyboard. Main drawback is battery life is not up to the hype.

Depending on how much you want to spend Sony do some very nice HD laptops and generally are ugradeable to 8Gb RAM and have Core i3 processors which are quite nippy. Cost a bit more for the BluRay versions but they are really solidly built and have a decent battery life.

If you are looking at Thinkpads be aware that they are very crap heavy out of the box and make sure you avoid models with bloody stupid button/joysick type mouse instead of a touchpad (awful to use - unless you only ever plan to use a wireless mouse).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version