ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I need advice: which laptop to buy?

<< < (5/7) > >>

f0dder:
Based on your feedback I'll might decide against SSD for now and get loads of RAM instead... not sure about this yet though.-brotherS (January 18, 2011, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, what are your I/O workloads like?

Apart from specific workloads, I do find that my SSD speeds up stuff program launching considerably... but I'm the kind of person who seems to notice a couple hundred of milliseconds :)

brotherS:
I tend to have Google Chrome running all the time, with *way* too many tabs open at any given moment.  :-[ That's the highest workload on a permanent basis.

That being said, what (if any) effect would more graphic card memory have? On average I have about 20-40 program windows (Chrome, text editors, Locate, ...) open on the desktop, plus 5-10 Windows Explorer windows.

Shades:
In general, the more resources your computer has, the smoother any ride you plan it to do will be.

Video apps and games profit most noticeably from more RAM on your graphic card. The GPU that comes with these cards nowadays can be utilized in the more mundane tasks of a PC. But from what I read and understand is that more RAM on your graphic card will not do much in lifting your workload.

tomos:
edited my post above:

[...]
Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 NSLDFGE
[...]

[edit] I was working with this a little today. The fan does start and stop, so I guess that rules it out [/edit]
-tomos (January 17, 2011, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

JavaJones:
I am so close to buying that Lenovo I linked to above...

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version