ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

iPod Touch, PIM, and Outlook (WAS: Thunderbird as a PIM Hub)

<< < (9/9)

daddydave:
An update: I am mostly happy with the iPod Touch, but not really found my groove in regard to Outlook tasks. I am struggling to implement David Allen's GTD as well, but I can't really find all the features I want in one app, and I have paid for a few different apps.

One nice thing about Apple is that you don't have to buy an iOS phone to see the contents of the app store. Unlike Google's Android. There are alternative app stores you can search and read reviews at, but not Android Market itself. So it was easier to research and conclude that Apple was indeed where the apps were.

iOS also seems to be where developers have been aiming first before bringing out their Android apps. Eventually the momentum will swing to Android, although I don't expect the PIM situation to be much better there, maybe I am too picky. This is my third PDA (had a Palm, and a Dell Axim before) and in each case I made the decision the same way: go to the OS where the apps are. I see a few developers starting to put their best work into their Android apps (Evernote for example) so I see the momentum swinging yet again

Coincidentally, two of my online accounts, gmail and gawker got compromised since I got the ipod touch, just as I was starting to feel I was being paranoid about having data in the cloud, I now realize I wasn't paranoid enough. The Gmail thing was weird, I avoid all the "free wi-fi" like Ebola and I only connected to my home wireless network,. However I hate all the iOS apps that have you put your Google account information in the settings, now all my apps are suspect. For the everyday individual who interacts with the web on a personal level, it seems that cloud security is all downhill from here.

One thing I wish I had considered was that the newer generations of iPod Touch have more memory to work with. I believe this is why Apple wisely disables multitasking on 2nd Generation devices. However, I feel I needed it and enabled it on my jailbroken device, just to be able to get back to the last several apps without having to go back to the launcher (springboard) or too much fiddling. Also I can see the amount of memory in the top status bar, thanks to another jailbreaking tweak. And if it gets too low, the device reboots and it takes forever for it to boot back up. However, the 3rd or 4th Generation weren't really at my ebay price point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version