ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 7 Breaks Week Numbering

<< < (3/4) > >>

Shades:
@f0dder:
Because these apps do not experience problems on Vista and 2008 R1 operating systems. Which is what makes me say that Windows is (unintentionally?) breaking things.

Granted, you are probably right about other apps being shoddily coded, but I have here an 3rd party app that just uses one oracle dll to connect to Oracle and that is it. That 3rd party app also communicates successfully with SAP on any os except with Win7 and Win 2008 R2.

CWuestefeld:
This sounds the same as a bug in VB5 I submitted to Microsoft, a couple of eons back. The problem isn't with the OS, but with the library.

In some years, the end of the last week of the old year extends into Jan 1, Jan 2, etc. If you ask about the week # with respect to the old year, you get the right answer (that it's wk 53 or whatever). But if you ask that same question with respect to the new year (i.e., "what's the week number for Jan1, 2011"), then it assumes that it's part of the new year, without considering that it might be the old year's dying days.

Microsoft said that this was the intended behavior, and declined to fix it.  :huh:

Stoic Joker:
This sounds the same as a bug in VB5 I submitted to Microsoft, a couple of eons back. The problem isn't with the OS, but with the library.-CWuestefeld (January 18, 2011, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting, but this is a pure C project, using the Windows Common Controls - so there is no additional runtime library to speak of - Not to mention the behavioral change between OS's ... But I'm with you in spirit. :)

In some years, the end of the last week of the old year extends into Jan 1, Jan 2, etc. If you ask about the week # with respect to the old year, you get the right answer (that it's wk 53 or whatever). But if you ask that same question with respect to the new year (i.e., "what's the week number for Jan1, 2011"), then it assumes that it's part of the new year, without considering that it might be the old year's dying days.-CWuestefeld (January 18, 2011, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
One of the first things I discovered when I started down the add week numbers to the project path ... Was that the only thing that week numbering did consistently, according to the ISO standard, was change... Sure for the most part they have it down to the three most likely suspects. But they don't always fit into the regional(ization) borders because of the multitude of who likes what where combinations. There are actually 3 areas (globally speaking/I forget the country names), that require that you basically wing-it week number wise.

Microsoft said that this was the intended behavior, and declined to fix it.  :huh:-CWuestefeld (January 18, 2011, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I got a funny feeling that the (apparently little known) registry entry that wr975 came up with was the MS "fix" for said issue. I say this because it was only after following wr975's links that I found the week number wing-it in 3 countries rest-of-the-story...detail. Which is what compelled me into an Ah-Ha moment corner, and lead to my decision to leverage that setting as the only sane option ... Because (according to MS) that's exactly what it's for.

f0dder:
@f0dder:
Because these apps do not experience problems on Vista and 2008 R1 operating systems. Which is what makes me say that Windows is (unintentionally?) breaking things.-Shades (January 18, 2011, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
...and there's plenty of examples of code that works on Win9x but breaks on WinNT, or works on Win2000 but breaks on WinXP (et cetera), because developers of said software made assumptions that violate the specs...

Not saying it isn't a Windows bug, but I find it more reasonable to start blaming the 3rd party developers first :)

Shades:
@f0dder:
Being not too proud to admit I could be wrong in my assumptions or logic, I will agree with you. Let's also stop pulling the thread off-topic.

@Stoic Joker:
Indeed, it is/was my frustration speaking. Sorry about that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version