ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 7 Breaks Week Numbering

<< < (2/4) > >>

Shades:
Windows 7 is broken?

On way too many low levels...it is not even funny anymore.

I keep telling that Windows 7 is not ready for the enterprise, the PC's that have to work with big names like Peoplesoft, SAP, eBase. It still amazes me how much is broken and is/has to be rewritten to get the previous functionality (from pre-Vista OS's) back.

For general use Windows 7 is a sufficient replacement for the aging XP. That is as far as I want to go with it. I understand that SP1 is coming soon for 7, I really hope they sorted out the mess they created, but will not keep my breath...

It is not like I am not trying to like 7...as I am using it on my personal PC, but the problems I keep encountering are sure dampening the fun.

Talking about fun, try Oracle 11g Database server software on Windows 7 (or Win 2008 R2 for that matter). Now try to access that database with 3rd party software. 80% chance that you are locked out each time the app access it. Networking issue with Windows 7/Win 2008 R2 is the cause.

Yeah, I know, I know, time to consider using Microsoft's SQL server... *shrug*

Stoic Joker:
Just had to get that off your chest, did Ya?

:D

I haven't tried anything with Oracle, but I've had really good luck with other databases (MySQL, Pervasive SQL, Advantage Database Server, and yes MSSQL) on Server 2k8.

wr975:
The question at this point, is if I add an option to adjust wr975's iFirstWeekOfYear registry entry ... Will that create a potential problem for other applications running on the user's machine?? (e.g. Sure it's easy as hell to do, but should it be done?)
*Shrug* ...7 is broken?
-Stoic Joker (January 17, 2011, 05:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably not, because if an (European) user wants the ISO week number, then it should be set to "2" anyway. (I've googled a bit)

iFirstWeekOfYear = "Specifies which week of the year is considered first.
0 - Week containing January 1 is the first week of the year.
1 - First full week following January 1 is the first week of the year.
2 - First week containing at least four days is the first week of the year."
--- End quote ---

On Win XP this registry setting seems to be ignored. So... is XP broken ?  ;D

Stoic Joker:
The question at this point, is if I add an option to adjust wr975's iFirstWeekOfYear registry entry ... Will that create a potential problem for other applications running on the user's machine?? (e.g. Sure it's easy as hell to do, but should it be done?)
*Shrug* ...7 is broken?
-Stoic Joker (January 17, 2011, 05:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably not, because if an (European) user wants the ISO week number, then it should be set to "2" anyway. (I've googled a bit)-wr975 (January 18, 2011, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
I was in the process of arriving at that conclusion also ... As I too was Googling ... But decided I'd googled enough, when I realized that I'd been steadily (but unconsciously) swearing in Bavarian for over half an hour. :huh:

...Let's call it a feature! ;)

iFirstWeekOfYear = "Specifies which week of the year is considered first.
0 - Week containing January 1 is the first week of the year.
1 - First full week following January 1 is the first week of the year.
2 - First week containing at least four days is the first week of the year."

On Win XP this registry setting seems to be ignored. So... is XP broken ?  ;D
-wr975 (January 18, 2011, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... So if XP is the broken one, then 7 can go back to being perfect ... I like it! And, it fits perfectly with my warped version of reality...

f0dder:
Shades: what makes you say those issues are because of Win7, and not the 3rd party software? I definitely wouldn't put it past SAP and Oracle software to be shoddily coded.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version