topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Startup Applications List: Executables that do/dont need to boot with windows  (Read 7597 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
This looks like quite a useful reference.

If you're frustrated with the time it takes your Windows PC to boot and then it seems to be running slowly you may have too many programs running at start-up - and have come to the right place to identify them. This is the original startup programs (as opposed to processes/tasks) list - one of the most comprehensive and most accurate!

"Name or Startup Item" in the table below refers to how an entry is displayed in MSConfig, Windows Defender or the registry "Run" keys. "Command or Data" refers to the program the entry runs. For further information on this and how to identify and disable startup programs please visit the Startup Content page.

from http://lifehacker.co...up-applications-list

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Wow... It lists a lot... But it's almost TOO big. It would work better with a piece of software to help you sort through them. Actually, it wouldn't be too hard to do... Hmmm...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just read an article review on Soluto, so you could automate that, to be found at www.soluto.com, it tries to give advice on what to get rid of and what to keep, based on a similar list and on what others decided. But you can't yet go blindly with it's advice ofcourse...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's too bad that these type of websites never actually check what they add and that all the lists just copy one another and that you can't get them to change their minds about a program once they've gone to the trouble of sticking it on their websites.

D066UUtility.exe - It is NOT a TWAIN driver.  It turns off the CFL in the film scanner after a certain period so its life isn't shortened unnecessarily.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow... It lists a lot... But it's almost TOO big. It would work better with a piece of software to help you sort through them. Actually, it wouldn't be too hard to do... Hmmm...

Yeah! It does incite curiosity. I'm about 50% of the way to forking over the $15 they want for the data set just to check it out.

These downloads are password protected and free to anyone producing a mirror or free utility. If you produce a commercial/shareware utility please contact me to discuss options. If you don't fall into any of these categories and want to download any of these files you will need to either make a donation of $15/year or more via PayPal (or E-mail me) and you will be provided with the login details which will change at the beginning of each year. The donation will go towards researching new and existing entries for the database and creating these files. Since making these files available for download they've been available free of charge and downloaded thousands of times. I believe they are unique as to my knowledge, no similar site offers such a resource as the lists they offer are on-line only.

Since I don't want to be beholden, I'll probably just make the donation. It's pretty reasonable for the amount of data that's been collected even though 4wd raises the very valid caveat that it's only as good as the vetting that's been done on it. However, supposedly WinPatrol uses it, so it can't be too wrong too often.

8)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 02:10 PM by 40hz »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hopefully someone can block the china on sale spammers.  :mad: :(