ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What Do You Think About ANONYMOUS?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Eóin:
I liked their Scientology protests. Seen them in Dublin and thought it was quite funny. Of course there were never more that 4 or 5 there :D

All in all though, it's a pretty ill defined group of mostly just bored teenagers, I wouldn't trust them to change the world for the better.

app103:
Funny thing about Anonymous...it's not an organization, it has no leaders, and there are no rules. Anyone can be Anonymous. All you have to do is stand up for whatever it is that you believe in, in any way you choose, anonymously...and call yourself Anonymous.

Is it a hacker group? No, but there are hackers that call themselves Anonymous.
Is it a terrorist group? No, but there are terrorists that call themselves Anonymous.
Is it just a bunch of kids? No, there are also adults that call themselves Anonymous.

It's just a concept.

I wouldn't trust them to change the world for the better.
-Eóin (January 15, 2011, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not a "them"...it's a "we" whenever you act as Anonymous. Therefore, they can change the world if YOU decide to change the world, anonymously. If you can't trust them then you can't trust anyone...and maybe you are right...but maybe you are also wrong.

It's just a concept.

I'm curious to see what form their "series of global protests" will take.
-40hz (January 15, 2011, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can decide what form it takes. You don't have to wait and see.

Personally, I stand up for what I believe in with my name, face, and reputation. I choose not to act anonymously. But the idea that one could just do nothing, out of fear of personal repercussions for upsetting the status quo, but they could also act anonymously if it gave them the courage they needed to stand up a lot more safely, does appeal to me. The idea is to stand up and do something, anonymously if you have to, but do something.

Eóin:
Ah they are a bit more coherent than that though. They organise themselves through the internet, mostly through imageboards like 4chan. Sure lots of activists can call themselves Anonymous, but it's only when large group of a popular imageboards deziens gets behind a cause, can those supporting the cause honestly say they are acting as part of Anonymous.

app103:
Ah they are a bit more coherent than that though. They organise themselves through the internet, mostly through imageboards like 4chan. Sure lots of activists can call themselves Anonymous, but it's only when large group of a popular imageboards deziens gets behind a cause, can those supporting the cause honestly say they are acting as part of Anonymous.
-Eóin (January 15, 2011, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not entirely true. That may have been where it started, but the idea was intended to spread beyond that and involve the general population. Anyone can call themselves Anonymous and honestly say they are acting as part of it. That's the point.

Eóin:
I not sure it was intended to spread beyond that. The name for example is just an in joke, it was coined by Fox News during the ludicrously sensationalized special report on cyber bullying, and was adopted for ironic humor. Fox News got it from the fact that people's username defaults to Anonymous on the various image boards.

You'll also see plenty of people online claiming Anonymous has lost it's way specifically because it is being used a a moniker by people who don't knows its roots, or its motivations.

In all honesty, Why We Protest isn't Anonymous, perhaps the best summary can by found on the Encyclopedia Dramatica article, but I'll refrain from posting the link given this sites extreme NSFW rating and it being a general source of hatred and bigotry. Nonetheless this picture from it sums up Anonymous pretty darn well -

What Do You Think About ANONYMOUS?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version