ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

January 2011 Giveaway - Winners Posted

<< < (5/17) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
i didn't take your post as criticism at all -- just raising an issue for us to talk about  :up:
-mouser (January 13, 2011, 10:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good, that's what I was doing too!  8)

CleverCat:
There is a way.....

If a 'humble' non programmer (such as myself) won, they could 'give' the programme to a NANY participant!  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
So, is there anyone with experience with these various tools? If anyone here has experience with these tools, I think they'd be very useful to have listed .
-worstje (January 13, 2011, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've used Camtasia Studio and Help & Manual extensively. Both are very good and I'd recommend them.

For Camtasia Studio, their audio tools are extremely weak. They're OK if you're a beginner, but if you want something a notch above, you will need to work in another audio editor to get things done.

Syncing audio and video in Camtasia has been very poor in the past as well. I'm not sure about v7 now though. Hopefully they've improved it.

I think the best way to work with Camtasia is to do the basic work there, then do it in something more powerful like Adobe Premiere, then import back into Camtasia if needed for publication.

Help & Manual improved a LOT when they moved to XML. You can edit the XML directly if you know what you're doing, which is very nice. Publishing across different formats is great.

However, for H&M you MUST use templates properly to get things done right. If you don't, you'll end up with a mess.

Still, they're 2 of the best tools available and highly recommended.

Perry Mowbray:
yeah actually wasn't the idea originally that the giveaways would be for the volunteers, but we just didn't have many volunteers (or perhaps we didnt need them).
-mouser (January 13, 2011, 10:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

The volunteers volunteered their skills for which they already had the tools... it was probably obvious in hindsight that that would be the case; anyway, it's opened it up for everyone now...

worstje:
Personally I think that if the giveaways were meant for NANY entrants, they're the wrong give-aways. Don't get me wrong - these are wonderful programs, and much praise to their developers and their willingness to throw a license of them up for our giveaways.

Generally, those partaking in NANY are the coding types. Those that see a (technical) challenge and like to solve it. This is imo in part the reason why so many entries also end up unpolished or unfinished: once the most interesting thing has been solved, and it works, the drive and motivation needed to finish and polish up is no longer there.

In contrast, the prizes are more geared towards the artistically inclined, or even the.. uh, what's the word... very 'customer'-minded individuals by lack of a better description coming to mind. We've got an icon editor and a graphics editor, which are quite wasted on people like myself who can't draw something remotely non-horrifying to save their life if it depended on that. We've got a pair of screencast softwares, which generally require a microphone, good command of whatever language, the ability to properly formulate ones thoughts and generally convince people: again, not something the coding types are generally gifted with. Finally, there are the documentation and manual authoring tools, which.. uhm... let's just say a good majority of coders struggles with sane comments in their source code, which they spend all their time in - any sort of documentation almost always comes as a last, hurried thought.

Pretty much all of the above are true for me (not-so-random shout-out: thank you vlastimil for the icon, you were a life-saver!), and while I don't know many other people on DoCo nor presume to know their skillsets, I do know other coders and friends of mine. Personally I guess I am probably a bit more technically inclined in my entries than most participants, so of course what would be on my list would differ from others.

In future NANYs, I think it would pay to inform way before-hand what kind of coders we have, what kind of prizes they might appreciate, and so forth. And of course I do not mean this exclusively - all the current prizes are great for all the other non-coder NANY participants and are great to make a return - but more variety in the prize pool would be very nice as well. Mugs are awesome, and I will love my NANY mug to a porcelain death (ok, not death I hope, but yeah) whenever it comes, but there would be plenty of long-term joy involved in ending up with a tool that expands on what one already loves doing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version