ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

January 2011 Giveaway - Winners Posted

<< < (4/17) > >>

fenixproductions:
@mouser
OK. I agree that this is good product but so far I haven't found anything I couldn't do with free tools (IcoFX, GreenFish Icon Editor + Inkscape, Paint.NET + XnView). If you are just starting playing with icons it is not bad choice at all. But if you have some experience with other graphic tools - it is not worth your time.

Few things were teasing me enough to buy it without trial tests:
- very good reviews - especially on DC,
- Image Objects - which are not good enough due to the lack of layers support. If you use layers in other editors and have good folders structure for your resources, you can achieve the same functionality.
- Librarian - I thought there will be something more than Explorer + Favourites substitute. I was hoping for tagging system, at least.

Also GUI appeared to be troublesome. It is year 2011 and still no mouse wheel support (zoom)? Even in Notepad++ has it (Ctrl+WheelUp to zoom something in). Not to mention about easy horizontal scrolling.

I must say that I had spent a lot of time looking for good icons management application and found none. Sure, there are a lot of photo organisers on the market but many of them don't support ICO files at all. The rest offer only the basic treatment. ICO files are handled like normal images which means: they may have one page only. Since we all know that single icon can contain multiple versions of itself, it makes this approach useless. There should be a choice for icons viewing - choice between standard mode (the best resolution view) and "snapshot mode" (all formats presented on single paper sheet) for both: folder's thumbnails and direct viewing.

Perry Mowbray:
Most of these tools do however seem to favor the creative side of things, so in that sense I think it might be appropriate to do a bit of light favoring of NANY participants. These giveaways are all things that are of use to people involved in NANY apps, and imo less so to the more general visitor using such applications.
-worstje (January 13, 2011, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which is why we got, or at least asked, for those types of programmes... that they'd be of benefit to the NANY Entrants and Volunteers, so a slight bias seemed to connect those two desires nicely without taking the celebration away for everyone!

mouser:
yeah actually wasn't the idea originally that the giveaways would be for the volunteers, but we just didn't have many volunteers (or perhaps we didnt need them).

CodeTRUCKER:
@Mouser & Perry

Just for clarity... my original post above, was not intended to be a criticism of the plan to bias the NANY entrant's chances.  Given how you two have worked so hard to make all this happen, that would be highly ingratuitous of me.

The genesis post you (mouser) initiated this thread with seemed to be asking for comment on your dilemma.  I was attempting to help show an aspect for consideration.  Sorry, if I came across otherwise.  :huh:

Good luck to you guys in in finalizing the plan.  I'm confident it will be good, even if I don't win anything! :)
<subliminal message to mouser and Perry they don't "see">"...optimize for CodeTRUCKER ...optimize for CodeTRUCKER ...optimize for CodeTRUCKER ..."

mouser:
i didn't take your post as criticism at all -- just raising an issue for us to talk about  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version