ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let's try to create our own suite for internet security.

<< < (10/13) > >>

app103:
Ha, of course!  I never do that stuff at work, I ain't crazy!  That comment wasn't really aimed at you or to chastise anyone, sorry if it came off that way.  it just reminded me of something I wanted to clarify for the purposes of the list in the first post.

Yes, when at work, you just don't even try to go to shady sites.  That's where abstinence comes into play.  But when I'm at home, I'd like my security software setup in such a way where if I intentionally choose to explore a shady site, it will catch the harmful things happening.  That's the hard part.  We want protection during those times where we decide to cross the line.  It's like the military:  you have your defensive tactics, and your offensive tactics.  They are two different animals.

And I would never say anything negative towards you app.  Too much respect.
-superboyac (January 13, 2011, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

That can be a little hard to do when you are staring at a page full of search results and you don't know which are the shady sites. The reputation rings then come in handy. If you want to be extra cautious, stick to results that show green rings and don't take a chance of the yellow, red, or sites with unknown reputation.

In addition to security, those reputation rings also help you find the sites more likely to have the info you are looking for, steering you away from the useless (and sometimes harmful) crap. It can really save you a lot of time in more ways than one.

40hz:
At the risk of getting flamed, I'd like to add any live Linux CD to the mix for mega-safe browsing.

Very difficult to infect read-only optical media. At least last time I checked.

Pick your favorite flavor. The latest Ubuntu 10 releases finally got wireless fixed. Most NICs will now work right out if the box. It actually works with my old Belkin USB Wireless G MIMO (FD9050) - which happens to be one of the more notoriously fidgety NICs out there. It even gets fussy under Windows. No wonder Belkin abandoned it.

FWIW It performs flawlessly using Ubuntu's 10.04 32-bit live CD.

Bamse:
Also very difficult to infect a healthy Windows but Sardu has these Linux ideas covered, go crazy. When I have had actual need for a multi-bootable monster, cd or usb based, I have typically not been prepared because it is painful to keep updated. So now I pimp Sardu (and Ketarin) at every occasion - also that way I don't forget ;)

superboyac:
40hz is right.  I should include some sandboxing and such stuff in the list.  Those are also protective measures.  That goes along the lines of those emergency boot disks that you can use to clean a badly infected computer or something.  I think I mentioned that previously.  This is cool!  I've been meaning to put together a list like this.

Josh:
Saw this and had to ask...People still use anti-spam software? I haven't had more than 5 spam mails in the last 3 years (And yes, I mean that is the total received, not total missed by thunderbirds built in filters).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version