ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let's try to create our own suite for internet security.

<< < (6/13) > >>

Mark0:
Since I rarely have any malware, perhaps I shouldn't be so concerned, but I don't like the idea that a malware program that managed to get on my computer could send out information without my knowing it.  Thus, a firewall that works in both directions seems to me a good idea.-cyberdiva (January 12, 2011, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

But, I think, that restrictions are so easy to circumvents in some way or the others that's probably not even worth trying, IMHO.
I had coded a (very!) little demonstration tool about 6 years ago, but I believe it may still be working:
http://mark0.net/soft-leakout-e.html

It just try to "smuggle" :) some stupid data, like Machine name, Windows Directory, etc. using the browser.
I'm curious to hear if it still works on some recent Win configurations.

JavaJones:
The issue with installing multiple security apps was - and still is - with having multiple *realtime* scanners active at once. This can cause problems to this day. In times past some AV apps would also sometimes detect each other as "unwanted" or quarantine bits of each other. This still happens sometimes today I believe, though I haven't seen it for a long time. Many AV apps will give you a warning if they detect other antivirus apps when they're being installed, others will outright disallow you to install before uninstalling the other. This all applies pretty much to antivirus apps, particularly those with realtime scanners. Antimalware and antispyware apps tend to play better together and are less contentious. Generally speaking, just having multiple *on-demand* AV scanners is fine.

The line between antimalware, antispyware, antitrojan, etc. is not real clear unfortunately. Personally I think it's a stupid distinction and wish we didn't need additional apps like Malwarebytes, but it seems that antivirus apps don't cover everything right now.

My personal choice of antimalware is Emsisoft, formerly A2 (I think). It seems to find things that Malwarebytes doesn't. Neither is particularly obtrusive or heavy on resources.

I also think an app like JottiQ, or use of an internet-based multi-engine on-demand scanner is useful for anyone who likes to download and play with new software.

- Oshyan

superboyac:
Yes JJ.  All true.
that's why i think it would be helpful to establish this list here.  That way, others can have some kind of assurance that the stuff on the list plays nice with each other.  After all, it's donationcoder approved!

I might even add an extra box with some directions below the list specifiying exactly how to set up each software to play nice.  I feel like something like this can be very helpful for people.  It's not the easiest topic to get your head around.

superboyac:
WinPatrol!
I totally forgot about it.  Definitely something to include here.  What category would that fall under?  Startup protection?  Application Nazi?  Watchdog?

4wd:
Just a query about your list: you've got Windows Defender listed under Hardware Firewall.

Windows Defender is a Anti-Spyware program - not a firewall.

A Hardware Firewall is something you're going to find in your router device, be it a Linux gateway, an ADSL router/modem or dedicated piece of hardware, (eg. ZyWall devices) - about the only thing you can say in this category is to turn it on, (if it exists), and ensure it's configured correctly.

On a related note, what are some recommended on-demand scanning for antivirus, malware, etc.?
-superboyac (January 12, 2011, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

How about JottiQ?
-Deozaan (January 12, 2011, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

WRT on-demand scanners, can any service that won't work without an internet connection truly be called on-demand?

They should be called 'when convenient'.

The only anti-something service that can be truly called on-demand is something that will work offline as well as online.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version