ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Let's try to create our own suite for internet security.

(1/13) > >>

superboyac:
[note to self]
Add a column for categories such as: Prevention, Infection Removal, something for stuff like ads that are not necessarily harmful but just annoying, online utilities, emergency boot utilities.  Or maybe I should just use the first column for this and use different words or something.

I have an idea I'd like to try.  It seems like I am pretty unhappy with just about all of the AV packages out there that are supposed to be total "Internet Security" packages.  So, since we are all knowledgeable software users, maybe we can come up with our own suite of software that is, in a sense, DC-approved.

So, the idea here is not to have just one "best" solution.  So we should avoid most of the programs labeled as "internet security".  We need to figure out all the categories for software that we need, and just use multiple applications to get the job done.  The first thing we should figure out are the categories.  I don't even know how to do that!  I still don't get the difference between a virus and malware, yet there are programs that are antivirus programs, and others that are anti-malware programs.  And there are others that are ani-rootkit.  I don't get it.  So that will also be part of the discussion.

There can be more than one "best" per category, but part of the effort will be making sure these programs all play nice with each other.  Oh, and they don't have to be free.  So don't say this software is better than that because it's free (a lot of people do that).  Also, let's not forget the "corporate" versions of the popular brands, which tend to be different animals than their more popular counterparts.

Modified 1-17-2011, 11:16am
PROTECTION TYPEAPPLICATIONPRICECOMMENTSReal-time Anti-VirusMicrosoft Security EssentialsFREEUnanimous DonationCoder approval.Anti-MalwareMalwarebytes' Anti-MalwareFREEDon't use for real-time protection, just as an on-demand scanner.Anti-MalwareSUPERAntiSpywareFREEDon't use for real-time protection, just as an on-demand scanner.Software FirewallComodo FirewallFREESeems to be the DC choiceHardware FirewallYour routervariesEmergency Rootkit CleanerComboFixFREEUse with caution.  Recommended only for advanced users.Ad BlockerAd Muncher (Premium)~$30/yearEasily the best.  Pricing is difficult to figure out.Anti-SpamAntispamSniper$20 (lifetime)*

Renegade:
It would only be a GUI around several SDKs.

If anyone has a few 10K to throw at initial licenses, then a few 100k to throw at the project, then it might be a maybe.

Sorry -- I might be a bit jaded from being through this before.

superboyac:
It would only be a GUI around several SDKs.
If anyone has a few 10K to throw at initial licenses, then a few 100k to throw at the project, then it might be a maybe.
Sorry -- I might be a bit jaded from being through this before.
-Renegade (January 12, 2011, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
huh?  I don't get what you said.  If you are saying that we are going to CREATE our own software suite, that's not what I meant.  I just meant let's create a dc-approved list of software that as a whole would accomplish the same thing as the "official" internet security suites.  All we're doing is recommending existing programs.

Renegade:
Ah... Got it. I misread.

superboyac:
I know this has been asked and answered a lot, but I'm doing it again:
If I have a normal wifi router, do I really need a software firewall?  I've never felt like my software firewall was particularly useful, I just have it because I'm scared to take it off.  I have no other valid reason for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version