ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Aspartame: Sweet Misery - A Poisoned World (Wikipedia Abuse)

<< < (4/4)

Renegade:
Currently watching the video now.

Weird how they pronounce Aspartame. Everyone I know pronounces it so it sounds similar to "as part of me."
-Deozaan (January 14, 2011, 06:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are a few things like that in English that get weird pronunciations sometimes. "Jujube" is one. It's properly pronounced like "jew jewb" without an "ee" sound at the end.

Deozaan:
Just finished the video.

Very interesting. I do like my sweets but I'm glad to say I always preferred the real thing when it comes to sugars. I understand HFCS and sugar aren't exactly healthy, but if there's something I'm going to ignorantly poison myself with for years before I learn how dangerous it really is, I'd much rather it be fructose than aspartame!

I didn't notice a date on the video. The quality and some things like that made it seem like it was made in the 90s, but some of the people mentioned years in the 2000s range. Any idea when the video was released/published?

Weird how they pronounce Aspartame. Everyone I know pronounces it so it sounds similar to "as part of me."
-Deozaan (January 14, 2011, 06:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are a few things like that in English that get weird pronunciations sometimes. "Jujube" is one. It's properly pronounced like "jew jewb" without an "ee" sound at the end.
-Renegade (January 14, 2011, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking of which, apparently everyone around here also incorrectly pronounces "fructose." Everyone around here pronounces the 'u' in fructose so that it rhymes with "fruit" rather than rhyming with "from."

Renegade:
I believe it is from 2004. It was in the Wikipedia article, but was removed. Several times.

tomos:
In the States, 1990, I tried giving up cigarettes and started chewing a sugar-free gum.
What was really ironic was that the gum came with a big cancer warning on the wrapper - unfortunately I cant remember what artificial sweetener was used in it...

PS I always hated the taste of aspartame... I could add that to wikipedia - tastes like sh!te, maybe after the bit where they say:
The taste of aspartame and other artificial sweeteners differ from that of table sugar in the times of onset and how long the sweetness lasts, though aspartame comes closest amongst artificial sweeteners to sugar's taste profile - but it still tastes like _____ :p

Deozaan:
What was really ironic was that the gum came with a big cancer warning on the wrapper - unfortunately I cant remember what artificial sweetener was used in it...-tomos (January 15, 2011, 03:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd guess saccharine. But possibly MSG.

Interesting info on saccharine's safety on Wikipedia:

Studies in laboratory rats during the early 1970s linked saccharin with the development of bladder cancer in rodents, resulting in the United States Congress mandating that all food containing saccharin bear a warning label.

However, in 2000, the warning labels were removed because scientists learned that rodents, unlike humans, have a unique combination of high pH, high calcium phosphate, and high protein levels in their urine.[20][21] One or more of the proteins that is more prevalent in male rats combines with calcium phosphate and saccharin to produce microcrystals that damage the lining of the bladder. Over time, the rat's bladder responds to this damage by over-producing cells to repair the damage, and this leads to tumor formation. As this does not occur in humans, there may not be elevated bladder cancer risk.-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharin#Warning_label_removal
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version