topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Auspex  (Read 89047 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Auspex
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2011, 07:32 AM »
Hi timns!

I've been absent from DC for a while, and now found this thread.
I think you should add some description (or at least a link to a description) on the first post of this thread, so that people may know what Auspex is ;)
Also, linking the review article on the first post too might be nice :)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2011, 08:18 AM »
Hi timns!

I've been absent from DC for a while, and now found this thread.
I think you should add some description (or at least a link to a description) on the first post of this thread, so that people may know what Auspex is ;)
Also, linking the review article on the first post too might be nice :)

It certainly would. Thank you for the suggestion - I'll prettify this thread today.

zwiebelaga

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Hi all, I'd started to use this new app and built up even just a handful of expansions before I experienced a crash and all my expansions were gone. Still, I liked the app very much so decided to get to grips with the backup/restore options. Could it just be me, but restore simply doesn't seem to work. I can see in the backup (zip) file that all my expansions are there, but my attempts to restore (just the menu option) result in no change to the content shown on screen. I'm hoping that someone will point out what a fool I am (so that I can use the facility immediately), but I've gone through various cycles, restarts, testing for mods, deletes, adds, etc, etc and just can't see what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions welcome!

(one small point, can someone tell me when "saves" are made too?)

Lovely app, many thanks

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Hi all, I'd started to use this new app and built up even just a handful of expansions before I experienced a crash and all my expansions were gone. Still, I liked the app very much so decided to get to grips with the backup/restore options. Could it just be me, but restore simply doesn't seem to work. I can see in the backup (zip) file that all my expansions are there, but my attempts to restore (just the menu option) result in no change to the content shown on screen. I'm hoping that someone will point out what a fool I am (so that I can use the facility immediately), but I've gone through various cycles, restarts, testing for mods, deletes, adds, etc, etc and just can't see what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions welcome!

(one small point, can someone tell me when "saves" are made too?)

Lovely app, many thanks

Hi Zwei, sorry you lost your expansions.

Auspex saves its data during shutdown - if anything goes wrong at this point, I can imagine data could be lost, but I have not seen it for myself.

The restore feature is not yet working, but if you have made a backup, this can be manually restored by closing Auspex and then unzipping the backup file into the correct folder. This is located in your application data folder, in a subfolder called Auspex.

For example, on my PC here, the path is:
C:\Users\tim\AppData\Local\Auspex

If you'd like a hand with this, send me a PM!

Later on this will be covered in the user guide, and of course Restore will be available shortly.

movrshakr

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2011, 06:27 PM »
See Reply #2.
The issue is how to handle replacement when the misspelling is also a valid word, like form  when from is intended.  How about letting the replacement happen, but if any change is made to the replaced text after that, let it stand?

In other words. a sequence like this: FORM is typed, it's replaced by FROM, user backspaces to the F and adds the ORM<space> and Auspex lets it stay as FROM.

User could even store the placement text as, maybe, FROM ## and delete the delimiter.  That way, it would "catch your eye" when it happened so you would not type on past an accidental replacement when you didn't intend it.  That way, you wouldn't be left with something like, "Fill out the from and mail it to..."

Another one like this I want to handle is 'hoe' instead of 'how', but I rarely type 'hoe', so a standard replacement should be OK for that one.

This is the only way I can figure to to this, but I don't how hard it would be to code that behavior.  Maybe something like--

IF replacement and backspace, turn off replacement until the next space or punctuation occurs.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2011, 10:06 PM »
My prime candidate for fix is getting the icon out of the task bar when it is closed.

Fixed, coming up in the next build (83)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2011, 07:02 AM »
My prime candidate for fix is getting the icon out of the task bar when it is closed.

:up:

As I mentioned some time back, when Auspex opens on my machine (it's set to minimize on close) hitting the close box minimizes it to the tray and to the task bar; the task bar item responds to nothing. Have to use the tray icon to kill Auspex. Be glad to see the end of that behaviour.

Whoa is me!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2011, 08:19 AM »

:up:

As I mentioned some time back, when Auspex opens on my machine (it's set to minimize on close) hitting the close box minimizes it to the tray and to the task bar; the task bar item responds to nothing. Have to use the tray icon to kill Auspex. Be glad to see the end of that behaviour.

Whoa is me!

-cranioscopical (January 19, 2011, 07:02 AM)

That, and still quite a few other items  :-[

I just want to get the restore feature working after poor old zwei's issue, then I'll upload a new 'un.

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 03:57 PM »
I just read this thread over to see if I could find out how to use the autoreplace feature, with no luck.

I'm sorry to be so dense but:

I'm typing a word and Auspex pops up a window with correct words and numbers before them to help enter the word quickly, yes?

But how do I select one of Auspex's suggested words? 

thanks for what looks to be a great program

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Hi Hank. Auspex does only two things, really.

1. It will look out for a certain pattern of characters, and when it sees them, it will automatically remove that pattern, and replace it with something else. For instance, when I type "rt" Auspex sees this and replaces it with "Regards, Tim" to save me time when composing emails.

This is called a Replacement in the GUI.

2. As you use the program more and more, Auspex will learn which words and phrases you use frequently, and begin to suggest them as you type. When you see the little window pop-up, you have a choice:

a) Press 'tab' and the currently highlighted word will be typed for you
b) If there's more than one word showing, use the up/down cursor keys to highlight the word you want, and then press 'tab'. As an alternative, use your numeric keypad and press the number that's shown next to the word you want.

If you don't want to use any of the suggested words, 'esc' will close that little pop-up. Or just carry on typing and it will disappear on its own.

We call this thing a Completion.

You can also pre-load Auspex with Completions if you know there are certain words or phrases that you definitely want the program to suggest. Conversely you can also block certain words from appearing at all.

At some point soon we'll have a little user guide, and also maybe some 'how-to' videos.

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2011, 04:43 PM »
Dear Timns,

Thank you very much for your clear and prompt response.

Yes, I was talking about the completions, and now understand that I have to use Tab or the numeric keypad number to select the right word.

I do suggest that you allow users to also specify a different activation key than Tab, if they'd like.

thanks again for your great response.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2011, 04:55 PM »
I do suggest that you allow users to also specify a different activation key than Tab, if they'd like.

thanks again for your great response.

It's a good one... I'll put that on the list!

Pnikosis

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • indi.solubl.es
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2011, 09:19 AM »
Hi timns, I absolutely love tyour software.

Anyway, the '@' character doesn't seem to work as a mnemonic (i want to use 'g@' as a mnemonic to quickly enter my gmail address), is there a reason for that, or just something that you could add in the future?

Also I'm facing the same issue than cranioscopical (the taskbar icon that keeps there and does nothing).

Anyway, I love this software, I ditched my custom Autohotkey script as this seems way faster and easier to add more words :)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2011, 09:52 AM »
Hi timns, I absolutely love tyour software.

Anyway, the '@' character doesn't seem to work as a mnemonic (i want to use 'g@' as a mnemonic to quickly enter my gmail address), is there a reason for that, or just something that you could add in the future?

Hi there - and thank you for your kind words and contribution! The "@" is not specifically blocked - and in fact it should work for you already. I myself have such Replacements as 't@a' 't@n' etc, which expand into my email addresses.

I'll do a bit of testing for you in case there's some weird bug in there.

Also I'm facing the same issue than cranioscopical (the taskbar icon that keeps there and does nothing).

Anyway, I love this software, I ditched my custom Autohotkey script as this seems way faster and easier to add more words :)

Can you tell me which OS you are using please?

Pnikosis

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • indi.solubl.es
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2011, 10:07 AM »
Win XP, and seems to happen the too in Win 7 (in my laptop I have Win 7 installed)

movrshakr

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Huh, I am getting a popup message on startup that v....81 is expired, but 81 is the version in the Original Post (OP).

Confused.

Does this do an internet version check at startup?  So.....help?

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2011, 10:52 AM »
Huh, I am getting a popup message on startup that v....81 is expired, but 81 is the version in the Original Post (OP).

Confused.

Does this do an internet version check at startup?  So.....help?

Hi - that's an old alpha version you have there, that needs to be updated quite urgently.

You can always find the latest build here!

movrshakr

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Hi - that's an old alpha version you have there, that needs to be updated quite urgently.

Somewhere I missed the referral over to the other topic.  My mistake.

You might want to disable the link in the OP HERE!! and put a link to the other topic so people don't stumble here and get the wrong one.

movrshakr

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2011, 11:10 AM »
OK, I just put in the 1.3.5.109, and have the same issue of taskbar entry that will not go away.  Vista Home Premium.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2011, 11:29 AM »

Somewhere I missed the referral over to the other topic.  My mistake.

You might want to disable the link in the OP HERE!! and put a link to the other topic so people don't stumble here and get the wrong one.

Yes I just did that very thing, thank you. I wasn't even aware you could still get to that ol' build 81.  :o

movrshakr

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2011, 12:54 PM »
...Yes I just did that very thing, thank you. I wasn't even aware you could still get to that ol' build 81.  :o

No problem...if it can be messeed up, just put it in front of me; I will oblige!  :)

The program "icon" remaining in the task bar still is an obstinate issue;  that has been around since the alpha.

LATER:  ummmm... I just tried the old link in post 1 and it still worked.  I would make that link point nowhere, put a strikethrough on the whole line, and right below it put a sentence/link to the right place.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:56 PM by movrshakr »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2011, 01:15 PM »

No problem...if it can be messeed up, just put it in front of me; I will oblige!  :)
;D
The program "icon" remaining in the task bar still is an obstinate issue;  that has been around since the alpha.

LATER:  ummmm... I just tried the old link in post 1 and it still worked.  I would make that link point nowhere, put a strikethrough on the whole line, and right below it put a sentence/link to the right place.

Can you show me where please? I simply do not see it. Any chance you have an older, cached page?

movrshakr

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2011, 02:52 PM »
...Can you show me where please? I simply do not see it. Any chance you have an older, cached page?

In the first post of this very thread.

here:
https://www.donation....msg231091#msg231091

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2011, 03:13 PM »
Son-of-a-gun!

Ok, fixed, with my apologies :-[

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2011, 05:43 AM »
timns, I was checking open ports on my PC the other day and I found this :

TCP   192.168.200.117    34910   98.130.197.240   80   CLOSE_WAIT   5704   auspex.exe   C:\Program Files\auspex\Auspex.exe

34910 being the local port and 80 the remote port
5704 the PID
98.130.197.240 resolves to ECOMMERCE-HOSTING

so I was wondering why auspex needs to listen even if the port is closed - is it for the "update" ?