ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Just How Many Programs Have You Written and Never Released?

<< < (3/6) > >>

kip:
C'mon guys, why are we talking about things like costs and extra work.  The fun is making it work, then seeing others get some benefit / pleasure / use out of something you have created.  Trust me, the best reward and the biggest kick is getting a nice thank you email when you have made a difference for someone you've never met, that and looking at the number of downloads when things start getting noticed, think at the moment I'm up to just over quarter of a million downloads worldwide.

Deozaan:
I have a lot of unfinished projects that I've abandoned without admitting it. (Though I guess I just admitted it.)

Most of them weren't even finished enough for me to use and enjoy, so I don't think they count.  :-[

superboyac:
zero

Stoic Joker:
Trust me, the best reward and the biggest kick is getting a nice thank you email when you have made a difference for someone you've never met, that and looking at the number of downloads when things start getting noticed, think at the moment I'm up to just over quarter of a million downloads worldwide.-kip (January 10, 2011, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

While I both understand and agree, I think mouser covered it best by saying:
Now in fairness most of these are incomplete and just not worth finishing.  But some are fully functional and just are too specialized and hard to use, such that releasing them would just cause frustration from people who tried to use them :)
-mouser (January 10, 2011, 12:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

...And he's right. Many of the bit I have are completely unfinished test code projects that I decided to play with to better ubderstand how the Window IU is put together/works. Others are just way to specific to be useful to anyone else, have zero documentation, or are just to dangerous to turn people loose with.

fenixproductions:
I think some of us can share same situations:
- dozen applications written for some strange purposes* - used once and forgotten,
- few projects to illustrate ideas for other applications - because using Photoshop is too lame ;)
- good projects which got old after stable versions,
- projects started but never truly finished due to the lack of faith or time,
- projects started, abandoned and rewritten** only to be forgotten after all.

*) Like "one page only" comic viewer or grep wannabe.
**) Made in rush for which going back is not possible because of being afraid of spaghetti code.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version