topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: To All Hot Blooded Meat eaters out there - Look carefully before you bite  (Read 3469 times)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
FDA Is Urged to Ban Carbon-Monoxide-Treated Meat
"Picture two steaks on a grocer's shelf, each hermetically sealed in clear plastic wrap. One is bright pink, rimmed with a crescent of pearly white fat. The other is brown, its fat the color of a smoker's teeth.

Which do you reach for?

The meat industry knows the answer, which is why it has quietly begun to spike meat packages with carbon monoxide."
http://www.washingto...AR2006021901101.html

What can you trust anymore ?

I was just helping my dad understand all the new fangled electronics and buttons in his car today and I suddenly remembered reading somewhere that the "new car" smells are a probably a toxic mixture of fumes being emitted by a whole ranges of plastics, synthetic materials or chemically treated leather used for making the car.  Boy I have to hold my breath longer when I'm his new car or have the windows down.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That would be formaldehyde. :(
They also treat tomatoes with ethylene gas to "ripen" green tomatoes before their time so they keep on the shelf longer.
And that appetizing orangish-pink salmon filet? Dye.
The yellow in your grocery-store egg yolk? Dye in the chickens diet because factory chickens don't get enough sunlight to naturally turn the yolks yellow.
My family is seriously thinking about buying all our animal products from local farms, these things are just too nasty, but I'm not giving up meat. (please don't try to convince me otherwise, I've heard it all.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 11:22 AM by Edvard »

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FDA Is Urged to Ban Carbon-Monoxide-Treated Meat
"Picture two steaks on a grocer's shelf, each hermetically sealed in clear plastic wrap. One is bright pink, rimmed with a crescent of pearly white fat. The other is brown, its fat the color of a smoker's teeth.

Which do you reach for?

OK, they pretty up the meat.  So?  The CO does nothing to harm the meat or the humans that eat it.  It just makes it look better.  They are trying to make it more attractive so they don't have to discount/discard "dingy" looking meat.  It is still fresh and safe, it just looks unattractive. 

Martha Stewart will tell you to squit lemon juice over you freshly sliced apples to keep them looking nice.  It's the same thing.
Insert Brilliant Sig line here