ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Utility: Convert Multiple Columns in Excel to a Single Column

<< < (3/6) > >>

AndyM:
<rant>
Actually this sort of thing really burns me.  I have more than a few colleagues like that (I had someone doing important calculations ask me what the numbers in red were...) and even though they work with Excel all day every day they can't or won't take the time to learn some basics that will make their (working) lives easier
</rant>
-Target (January 10, 2011, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh yeah, spot on!  

But I'm either getting older and wiser, or just older and wore out.  I was going to chime in with Concatenation Formula! or VBA! (and the code could go in personal.xls to always be available).  But even before Renegade posted his explanation I got to thinking, "if his people are like my people, this really is a simpler solution and will most likely work better because they can't break it".

Renegade:
<rant>
Actually this sort of thing really burns me.  I have more than a few colleagues like that (I had someone doing important calculations ask me what the numbers in red were...) and even though they work with Excel all day every day they can't or won't take the time to learn some basics that will make their (working) lives easier
</rant>
-Target (January 10, 2011, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh yeah, spot on! 

But I'm either getting older and wiser, or just older and wore out.  I was going to chime in with Concatenation Formula! or VBA! (and the code could go in personal.xls to always be available).  But even before Renegade posted his explanation I got to thinking, "if his people are like my people, this really is a simpler solution and will most likely work better because they can't break it".
-AndyM (January 10, 2011, 09:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

;)

Setup cost with the program I wrote: Double-click to run.  :Thmbsup:

Setup cost with VBA/macros: Step 1) lose all sanity...  :o

Need I say more? ;)

For anyone that has spent an hour trying to explain over the phone how to open a file... and failed... hehehe -- yeah... it happens... Sometimes ya gotta just pick yer battles. :)

AndyM:
 For anyone that has spent an hour trying to explain over the phone how to open a file... and failed...
--- End quote ---

stop, please.  I need to go to sleep and I can't if I'm laughing this hard.

Target:
the code could go in personal.xls to always be available-AndyM (January 10, 2011, 09:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

actually the easiest way is to put it in an addin (XLA) - save it to the XLSTART directory and put a button on the toolbar...

don't know about that last bit in versions past 2003 (we finally got 'upgraded' about 2 months ago and I'm still struggling with all those productivity gains...)

Target:
For anyone that has spent an hour trying to explain over the phone how to open a file... and failed... hehehe -- yeah... it happens... Sometimes ya gotta just pick yer battles. :)-Renegade (January 10, 2011, 09:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

i think you meant bottles...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version