ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Word Processor OS

<< < (5/11) > >>

40hz:
Just occurred to me you could also try starting with BartPE using PEBuilder to roll a customized Windows live CD containing something like WriteMonkey and little else. Be easier for most people than going the Linux route I outlined earlier. Tons of "how-to" and forum help available for BartPE and PE Builder just a Google search away too. Possibly somebody's already done it?

8)

aidan_cage:
I'm thinking I might be able to create an account in Windows 7 that doesn't have network access, and that boots right in to Windows with WriteMonkey as the only startup program. Is that possible to do? I've never played around with creating user accounts...

the downside, of course, is that all of windows has to boot just to get there. The other ideas seem better, but require a bit of curved learning on my part.

NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT :)

Edvard:
You might be looking for something called "Kiosk mode".
It can be easily enabled for most browsers, and I believe Windows has a security template or some thingummy actually called "kiosk mode" to do exactly what you're wanting.

Two of the most promising links I found searching around http://support.microsoft.com:

TeamTutorials: Configuring your own Kiosk Machine
http://teamtutorials.com/windows-tutorials/configuring-your-own-kiosk-machine
Microsoft SteadyState
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/seeit/internetcafe.mspx

There were more, but most of them involved Internet Explorer in Kiosk Mode and some security-related topics, which I assume you would not need because you're not trying to set up a public internet kiosk.
I've not used it, but I've heard SteadyState is fairly configurable.
Unfortunately support drops after June 30; but it still may be just the thing.

Stoic Joker:
Quick-N-Dirty shortcut - Kiosk Mode can be toggled (on/off) by pressing F11

aidan_cage:
Thanks for the link references. I looked briefly at the steadystate page, but will look into each link further as I go. The IDEAL of my vision, which I am still holding crystalline, is to have a relatively instant-on OS (if you can call such a thing an OS) that loads a fullscreen, ultra minimal text input program, such as a notepad-type app, and allows me to type instantly all of my thoughts, and automatically autosave to a folder of my choosing in the root directory of my harddrive (or usb key if it's that kind of a setup). Such a thing would allow me to use my netbook as an electric typewriter (as programs like writemonkey, and darkroom do), but would mean I could focus without the distractions of a fully loaded OS (updates, syncs, internets, etc.). I just push the power button, and away I go.

It seems odd, I guess, because it's sort of a Luddite, anti-tech dream, but still almost steampunk in its potential to be a work of art. I still have this dream of graphic, old typewriter arms klick-klacking up to the cursor line on the screen, punching an old typewriter font, creating an engaging and immersive typing experience...   :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version