ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Word Processor OS

<< < (10/11) > >>

40hz:
WriteMonkey starts up in full screen mode by default. It's also a standalone executable, so a simple shortcut to its exe placed in the startup folder is all you'll need to get it to autostart. Nothing fancy required.
 :)

aidan_cage:
I have it all set up now, but it's not how I truly want it. I wait to boot into the windows 7 user select screen and then select my new user, WRITE, then I wait for windows to load, and load writemonkey, and then I can begin to write, but in the end I am still in windows (with all the windows and explorers and processes). I feel silly, like I could just use writemonkey in my main user login..

The grail for me remains an instant on, fullscreen typing interface with automatic save to a specified directory (ideally that can be accessed through the main OS login), and no more.

WriteMonkey, as of yet, has no start parameters functionality. I'm going to continue suggesting a lean in my direction in the forums...

...linux...?

I'll be looking at those alternatives. Thanks for linking them all!

EDIT: Textroom looks very interesting. I want to take a linux class...

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmm wonder if there's any such thing as an extended Dos OS for Pentium class systems with NTFS support?  My first PC was XT clone with Dos 3.1 and it came with a free word processor.  Actually worked pretty well considering I only had 512KB ram to work with.

Rather than use graphics mode it used symbols to denote text with word processing attributes in the editor.

To "automatically boot" into the word processor you'd just add it to the Autoexec.bat file. :)

Edvard:
FreeDOS
http://www.freedos.org/
Using the NTFS4DOS driver, it can read/write to an NTFS partition.

Edit has been extended and is (was) still bundled in XP systems, dunno about 7 or Vista.
Start -> run -> edit.com

[UPDATE] Apparently so, if you're running 32-bit:
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/editcom-just-for-fun/233.html

Target:
there's always the analogue solution - always on, instant availability, no distractions

Word Processor OS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version