Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 01, 2014, 07:01:05 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SOLVED: In Windows Explorer, Select Files By File Extension  (Read 4579 times)
nkormanik
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:23:43 PM »

In Windows XP, does anyone know of a plug-in by which user can select files by extension?  The plug-in can be added to context menu, tool bar, or some other way.

I tried FileMenuTools, but for some reason, although claiming it does this, it doesn't actually work.

If no such plug-in exists, or cannot be created, can anyone suggest an alternative to Explorer which works to accomplish the task?

Thanks!

Nicholas Kormanik

awopbamboo
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:22:55 AM »

Couldn't you just order by the File type column in explorer, and select the first to the last in the list (of the extension you want)?

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:57:08 PM »

Do you mean, a simple way to mark all files with a given extension for further action?  That's trivial with Total Commander.  Put the cursor on one such file, press Num+, and all files with the same extension are marked.  Or, in ZTreeWin, log a directory, pick one such file, press Alt-T, E.  Or, in XYplorer, it's Ctrl+Alt+M.
nkormanik
Participant

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »

Yep.  That would be the traditional XP way of selecting by file type.

However, it's way easier being able to use wildcards, as FileMenuTools purports to being able to do.

I did find a useful solution that exists for everyone without an extra needed program, that should have been pretty obvious, but I hadn't thought of it before writing here:

-- Use Windows SEARCH, and put the wildcards, extension in there.

Sooo, Skwire, if no one has anything else to add to the discussion, maybe this one is done.

Ath
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:40:10 AM »

I'd bug the author of these FileMenu tools to fix that issue for XP, and also add/enable it for Windows 7, as it seems a quite useful feature.

IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 02:23:54 AM »

-- Use Windows SEARCH, and put the wildcards, extension in there.
Yes. Search on "*.exe" or whatever extension you are wanting to filter for.
Doing the same in Locate32 could probably give you a flexible selection approach as well.
nkormanik
Participant

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 02:32:25 AM »

Locate32 seems a great program.  It's the one I use for indexing everything I have on all internal drives, on external USB drives, and on my little network.  Not for content, though.  Just file names.

If anyone knows of a better basic indexing program I'd like to hear about it.

MilesAhead

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »

Also FreeCommander has a Filter edit line under each pane.  Say you have a mixed bunch of files in the folder and only want to rename the srt subtitle files.  Type *.srt in the filter.  Press Control-a to select them all, then F2 to get the built in renamer tool.

edit: to copy them to the opposite pane, press F5 or you can drag with the mouse. When dragging you can copy/move to tab etc..

Latest stable 32 bit version may be downloaded here

"Genius is not knowing you can't do it that way."
- MilesAhead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.028s | Server load: 0.25 ]